This delicious Gigi Hadid pasta recipe with a creamy tomato-based sauce is a crowd-pleaser. Not only is it quick and easy and full of flavor, but you can also choose to make it with vodka or without, so pick your favorite version and get cooking. Follow along step by step and find out why this is one of Gigi's favorite go-to meals.
This post contains affiliate links, which means that I may make a commission on purchases and/or clicks (at no extra cost to you). Please read our full disclosure here.
Are you looking for a delicious and flavorful pasta dish that is quick and easy to make? Look no further than Gigi Hadid's favorite go-to meal: the creamy tomato-based spicy vodka pasta.
This recipe went viral when Gigi posted it to her Instagram stories back in 2020 and it's little wonder why. Not only is the sauce incredibly flavorful, but the addition of vodka (or not, if you choose!) takes this dish to the next level.
It's so easy to put together that you can have dinner on the table in under 30 minutes. You can even cook it in one pan if you choose, just like this delicious one pot pasta with ricotta and lemon. So why not give it a try? You're sure to love it!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
This tasty Gigi Hadid pasta recipe is sure to be a hit with family and friends. With its creamy tomato-based sauce, it's full of flavor and you can choose to make it with vodka or without. It's also incredibly easy and fast to put together so why not give this delicious dish a try? Here are four reasons why you'll love it:
- It's easy to put together in one pot.
- The vodka adds a great depth of flavor (or you can skip it if you prefer - it's still delicious without it).
- It's a crowd-pleaser that everyone will love.
- You can make it in under 30 minutes.
What You’ll Need To Make This Gigi Hadid Pasta Recipe
Pasta: You’ll need about a pound of your favorite pasta for this recipe. I used shells, the same as Gigi, but any shape you like is fine.
Olive oil: You’ll need some good quality extra virgin olive oil for sautéing the garlic and shallots.
Garlic: You’ll want to use a few cloves of garlic, finely minced.
Shallots: You’ll need a shallot for this recipe, finely diced. If you don't have shallots handy, you can substitute red onion like Gigi did in her video.
Tomato paste: You'll want a good quality tomato paste to give the sauce its rich flavor. Gigi used a basil-flavored tomato paste in her video, but regular tomato paste is fine too.
Vodka (optional): If you'd like to add a bit of extra oomph to the sauce, a splash of vodka is perfect.
Heavy cream: You will need one cup of heavy cream for the sauce. The heavy cream tempers the sharp flavor of the tomato paste and gives the sauce a nice creamy texture.
Red pepper flakes: Crushed red pepper flakes gives this delicious pasta recipe a bit of heat. Feel free to add more, or less, or omit them completely to suit your tastes.
Salt and pepper: Don't forget to season with salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste.
Butter: You'll need some butter for the sauce. The butter adds a rich, silky texture to the sauce.
Parmesan cheese: A nice sprinkling of freshly grated parmesan cheese is a must for this recipe. You'll mix ½ cup of grated parmesan into the pasta at the end and can sprinkle some extra parmesan on top when serving if you choose.
Fresh basil (optional): A few leaves of fresh basil add a nice pop of color and flavor to the dish. If you don't have any on hand, it's totally fine to omit it.
Making this delicious creamy pasta dish is surprisingly easy and you can have dinner on the table in no time. Here's a step-by-step guide to making this Gigi Hadid pasta recipe:
Step 1: Cook the pasta according to package instructions. Once the pasta is done, drain it and reserve ½ cup of the pasta water.
Step 2: In a large pot or skillet, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the garlic and shallot and sauté until fragrant, about 1-2 minutes.
Step 3: Add the tomato paste and vodka (if using) and stir to combine. Cook for a few minutes until the tomato paste starts to darken in color.
Step 4: Add the heavy cream and red pepper flakes and stir to combine. Simmer until the sauce starts to thicken, about 3-4 minutes.
Step 5: Add the salt and pepper, butter, and reserved pasta water and stir to combine. Bring the sauce to a simmer and let it cook for another minute or two until the sauce is nice and thick.
Step 6: Add the cooked pasta to the sauce and stir to combine. Cook for a minute or two until the pasta is heated through.
Step 7: Add the parmesan cheese and stir to combine. Taste and adjust seasonings if needed.
Step 8: Serve hot, topped with a sprinkling of grated parmesan cheese and finely sliced fresh basil.
Tips For Making The Best Spicy Vodka Pasta
This pasta is simple and flavorful, but there are a few things you can do to ensure that it's the best it can be. Here are my top tips:
- Use a good quality extra virgin olive oil. Good olive oil adds depth and flavor to the sauce and helps it emulsify nicely.
- Don't skimp on the garlic and shallots. The combination of garlic and shallots gives this pasta recipe a nice depth of flavor.
- Reserve some of the cooking liquid from your pasta before you drain it. The starchy water adds flavor and helps the pasta sauce to thicken, creating a delicious creamy sauce.
- If you forget to reserve pasta water, you can make a substitute by mixing 1 cup of water with ¼ teaspoon of cornstarch and microwaving it until hot. Use this mixture in place of the pasta water to create a smooth, silky sauce.
- Don’t overcook the pasta. You want your pasta al dente for this recipe so keep an eye on it while it’s cooking and test it for doneness before draining.
Serving Suggestions And Substitutions
This pasta dish makes a great weeknight meal and can be served with a simple side salad, crusty bread, or some roasted vegetables. It's also delicious as is, but you can also top it with some grilled chicken or shrimp for a heartier meal.
While this recipe is delicious as is, you can make some substitutions if needed. Here are my suggestions:
Shallots: If you don't have any shallots on hand you can substitute red onion like Gigi did in her video. Yellow onion would be fine too.
Basil: If you don't have any fresh basil, you can substitute it with fresh parsley or just leave it out.
Vodka: If you don't want to use vodka, you can simply leave it out. The vodka adds an extra depth of flavor, but the dish will still taste great without it.
How To Store Leftovers
This pasta dish will keep in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. To store, let the pasta cool completely and then transfer it to an airtight container.
Reheat the pasta in a skillet over medium heat until heated through. You may need to add a splash of water or heavy cream if the leftovers seem dry.
You can also freeze this pasta for up to 3 months. Let the cooked pasta cool completely and then transfer it to an airtight container or freezer bag. When you're ready to eat it, let the frozen pasta thaw in the refrigerator overnight and then reheat it in a skillet over medium heat. Enjoy!
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: Is this Gigi Hadid pasta recipe spicy?
A: Yes, this recipe has a bit of heat from the red pepper flakes. You can adjust the amount of red pepper flakes to suit your taste, or leave them out completely if you prefer.
Q: What kind of pasta did Gigi use in her recipe?
A: Gigi used shells in her original recipe. Shells are great because they really hold on to the sauce. You can use any type of pasta you like for this dish though - penne, fusilli, and rigatoni would all work great.
Q: Can I make this recipe without vodka?
A: Absolutely. The vodka adds an extra depth of flavor, but the dish will still taste great without it. Just omit the vodka from the recipe and proceed as usual.
Q: What is Gigi Hadid's pasta called?
A: Gigi Hadid's pasta is also known as "spicy vodka pasta" or "pasta alla vodka". This recipe has been around for a long time, but when Gigi posted it to her Instagram stories it went viral! It's a delicious and easy to make weeknight dinner option that has quickly become a fan favorite.
Tools And Equipment For This Recipe
Le Creuset Signature Deep Dutch Oven: This is my absolute favorite dutch oven and I use it all the time. Its large capacity makes it perfect for one-pot dishes like this ricotta and lemon pasta. It’s pricey but it is super versatile and will last you a lifetime.
Powder-Coated Colander Set: This is a great set of colanders that come in three different sizes. I use them for everything from washing vegetables to draining pasta.
Garlic Press: I love this garlic press because it’s easy to use and clean. It’s also dishwasher safe, which is always a bonus.
Gigi Hadid Pasta Recipe (With Or Without Vodka)
- 1 pound shell pasta
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 shallot finely diced
- 2 tablespoon vodka
- ½ cup tomato paste
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoon butter
- ½ cup parmesan cheese
- ¼ cup fresh basil finely sliced
- Cook the pasta according to package instructions. Once the pasta is done, drain it and reserve ½ cup of the pasta water.
- In a large pot or skillet, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the garlic and shallot and sauté until fragrant, about 1-2 minutes.
- Add the tomato paste and vodka (if using) and stir to combine. Cook for a few minutes until the tomato paste starts to darken in color.
- Add the heavy cream and red pepper flakes and stir to combine. Simmer until the sauce starts to thicken, about 3-4 minutes.
- Add the salt and pepper, butter, and reserved pasta water and stir to combine. Bring the sauce to a simmer and let it cook for another minute or two until the sauce is nice and thick.
- Add the cooked pasta to the sauce and stir to combine. Cook for a minute or two until the pasta is heated through.
- Add the parmesan cheese and stir to combine. Taste and adjust seasonings if needed.
- Serve hot, topped with a sprinkling of grated parmesan cheese and finely sliced fresh basil.
* Nutritional information is based on third-party calculations and should be considered estimates. Actual nutritional content may vary based on brands of ingredients used, measuring methods, portion sizes, and more.