Chicken and chorizo pasta is a flavorful and hearty dish that combines tender chicken pieces and spicy chorizo sausage with al dente pasta in a rich tomato-based vodka sauce. The smoky and savory flavors of the chorizo perfectly complement the succulent chicken, resulting in a delicious and satisfying meal.
This post contains affiliate links, which means that I may make a commission on purchases and/or clicks (at no extra cost to you). Please read our full disclosure here.
Get ready to indulge in a scrumptious and satisfying meal with this easy-to-make chicken and chorizo pasta recipe.
This delightful dish brings together tender pieces of chicken and flavorful chorizo sausage, all enveloped in a rich tomato-based sauce. The smoky and spicy notes of the chorizo perfectly complement the succulent chicken, creating a symphony of flavors that will leave you wanting more.
Whether you're cooking for your family or entertaining guests, this recipe is sure to impress and become a go-to favorite. So, grab your apron, sharpen those knives, and let's dive into the deliciousness of this chicken and chorizo pasta!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
Introducing the delectable chicken and chorizo pasta! This mouthwatering dish combines tender chicken and spicy chorizo sausage, bathed in a flavorful tomato sauce. Here are a few reasons why this recipe is guaranteed to become an instant favorite:
Bursting with Flavor: The combination of succulent chicken and robust chorizo creates a tantalizing medley of tastes. Every bite is a symphony of smoky, spicy, and savory flavors that will leave you craving more.
Quick and Easy: With simple ingredients and straightforward instructions, this recipe is perfect for busy individuals or those new to the kitchen. In no time, you'll have a hearty and satisfying meal on the table.
Versatile Delight: This dish can be customized to suit your preferences. Whether you prefer a mild or fiery kick, you can adjust the spiciness to your liking. Additionally, you can experiment with different pasta shapes or add vegetables for an extra nutritious twist.
Crowd-Pleaser: From family dinners to dinner parties, this chicken and chorizo pasta is guaranteed to impress. Its robust flavors and inviting aroma will have everyone gathering around the table, eagerly asking for seconds.
Get ready to experience the sheer joy of this chicken and chorizo pasta recipe, as it tantalizes your taste buds, simplifies your cooking routine, and delights your loved ones.
What You’ll Need To Make Chicken And Chorizo Pasta
Penne: The pasta serves as the base of the dish, providing a satisfying and comforting element to the overall texture. I like to use penne for this recipe, but you can use another kind of short pasta, such as rigatoni, bowties, shells, or fusilli.
Chicken breast: The tender chicken breast adds protein and a mild, meaty flavor to the pasta. It pairs well with the bold flavors of the chorizo. I prefer to use skinless, boneless chicken breast, but you can also substitute chicken thighs.
Olive oil: Used for sautéing the chicken, olive oil adds richness and a subtle fruity flavor to enhance the overall taste of the dish.
Spanish chorizo: This flavorful sausage adds a smoky, spicy kick to the pasta. It infuses the dish with its distinct Spanish flair. I like to make this dish with sliced Spanish chorizo, but you can use ground Mexican chorizo if you prefer.
Shallot: Shallots provide a milder and sweeter flavor compared to regular onions. They add depth and complexity to the sauce.
Red bell pepper: The vibrant red bell pepper adds color, sweetness, and a subtle crunch to the pasta. It complements the other ingredients beautifully.
Garlic: Garlic is a flavor powerhouse that brings a pungent and aromatic essence to the dish. It enhances the overall savory profile.
Vodka (optional): Vodka adds a unique twist by imparting a subtle tang and depth of flavor. It helps to intensify the flavors of the tomato-based sauce. Feel free to leave it out if you don’t want to use vodka.
Tomato paste: Tomato paste adds richness, thickness, and a concentrated tomato flavor to the sauce. It forms the foundation of the pasta sauce.
Diced tomatoes: Whether canned or fresh, diced tomatoes contribute a fresh and juicy texture to the sauce. They provide a balanced sweetness and acidity. If you use canned tomatoes, don’t drain them - add the entire contents of the can to the sauce.
Heavy cream: Heavy cream adds a luxurious and creamy texture to the sauce, creating a luscious and velvety mouthfeel.
Red pepper flakes: Red pepper flakes lend a gentle heat and a touch of spiciness to the dish. They enhance the flavors of the dish without overpowering them.
Salt and pepper: These common seasonings enhance the taste of all the ingredients, balancing the flavors and bringing out their best.
Butter: Butter adds richness and a velvety finish to the sauce, enhancing its overall creaminess. You can use salted or unsalted butter, just adjust the added salt accordingly.
Parmesan: Parmesan cheese is added to the pasta and used as a garnish, adding a nutty and salty flavor. It provides a delightful umami boost.
Baby spinach: Baby spinach adds a vibrant touch of green, providing freshness and a hint of earthiness to the dish.
Parsley (to garnish): Fresh parsley adds a pop of freshness and a burst of color to the final presentation of the dish. It also contributes a subtle herbaceous flavor.
With these carefully selected ingredients, you'll create a tantalizing chicken and chorizo pasta that showcases a delightful blend of flavors and textures.
This recipe combines tender chicken, spicy chorizo, and a rich tomato sauce to create a mouthwatering dish that will satisfy your cravings. Learn how to make it with this step-by-step guide to creating the perfect chicken and chorizo pasta:
Step 1: Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil and cook the pasta according to the package instructions until al dente. Reserve 1 cup of the pasta water then drain and set aside.
Step 2: In a large skillet, heat some olive oil over medium heat. Add the chicken breast and cook until browned and cooked through. Remove the chicken from the skillet and set aside.
Step 3: In the same skillet, add the Spanish chorizo and sauté until it releases its flavorful oils and becomes slightly crispy. Remove the chorizo and set aside on the same plate as the chicken. Don’t drain the oil from the chorizo.
Step 4: In the same skillet add the shallot and red bell pepper and sauté until the vegetables are softened, then add the minced garlic and sauté for another minute.
Step 5: Stir in the tomato paste and cook for a minute to develop its flavors. Deglaze the skillet with the vodka (if using), scraping any browned bits from the bottom.
Step 6: Add the diced tomatoes (along with their juices), heavy cream, and red pepper flakes, and simmer the sauce gently for about 10 minutes to allow the flavors to meld together.
Step 7: Add the butter and allow it to melt into the sauce. Taste and season with salt and pepper as needed, then add the chicken and chorizo back into the pan.
Step 8: Add the grated parmesan, stirring gently until it has melted and combined into the sauce.
Step 9: Add the cooked pasta and mix well to coat everything with the flavorful sauce.
Step 10: Finally, add the baby spinach to the hot sauce and gently stir until wilted.
Step 11: Divide the chicken and chorizo pasta among plates or bowls. Garnish with more grated parmesan cheese and a sprinkle of fresh parsley to add a pop of color and freshness.
Now, sit back, savor the aroma, and enjoy this delightful chicken and chorizo pasta that brings together bold flavors and comforting textures in every bite.
Tips & Tricks For Making The Best Chicken And Chorizo Pasta
Are you ready to create a truly memorable chicken and chorizo pasta? Look no further! This tantalizing dish brings together tender chicken, spicy chorizo, and a rich tomato sauce for an explosion of flavors. To ensure your pasta turns out absolutely amazing, here are some tried-and-true tips and tricks to elevate your culinary masterpiece:
Perfect Pasta: Cook your pasta until it is al dente, meaning it has a slight bite to it. This ensures a pleasing texture and prevents the pasta from becoming mushy when mixed with the sauce.
Sear for Flavor: When sautéing the chicken and chorizo, allow them to develop a beautiful golden-brown crust. This caramelization adds depth and enhances the overall taste of the dish.
Flavorful Base: Sauté the shallots, red bell pepper, and garlic until they are soft and fragrant. This helps release their natural flavors and creates a robust foundation for the sauce.
Tomato Paste Magic: Before adding the diced tomatoes, cook the tomato paste for a few minutes. This step intensifies its flavor and deepens the complexity of the tomato sauce.
Simmer and Blend: Allow the tomato sauce to simmer for a while. This allows the flavors to meld together and develop a rich, well-rounded taste. Feel free to adjust the seasoning as needed.
Creamy Indulgence: When adding the heavy cream, do so over low heat and stir gently. This prevents the cream from curdling and ensures a smooth and velvety texture.
Balance the Heat: Add a pinch of red pepper flakes to provide a subtle kick. Adjust the amount according to your preference for spiciness.
The Finishing Touches: Grate Parmesan cheese over the pasta just before serving. The nutty and salty flavors of Parmesan complement the dish perfectly. Don't forget to add a handful of fresh baby spinach for a pop of color and a nutritious boost.
By following these tips and tricks, you'll be well on your way to creating the best chicken and chorizo pasta that will impress and satisfy every palate. Get ready to indulge in a flavorful adventure that will leave you craving seconds!
Serving Suggestions And Substitutions
When it comes to serving chicken and chorizo pasta, there are a few delicious options to consider. Here are some serving suggestions that will elevate your dining experience:
Fresh Herbs: Sprinkle some fresh basil or oregano leaves over the pasta just before serving. The aromatic herbs will add a burst of freshness to each bite.
Garlic Bread: Serve warm garlic bread on the side to accompany the pasta. The crispy exterior and garlic-infused butter will perfectly complement the flavors of the dish.
Salad: Pair the chicken and chorizo pasta with a crisp green salad. Opt for a simple salad with mixed greens, cherry tomatoes, and a tangy vinaigrette dressing to provide a refreshing contrast to the rich flavors of the pasta.
Wine Pairing: Serve a glass of red wine, such as a fruity Merlot or a spicy Shiraz, to enhance the flavors of the chicken and chorizo. The wine's acidity and tannins will help balance the richness of the dish.
Now, let's explore some possible ingredient substitutions for those who may have dietary restrictions or preferences:
Protein: If you prefer a different protein or don't consume chicken, you can substitute it with shrimp, sliced sausage, or even tofu for a vegetarian option.
Pasta: Feel free to experiment with different types of pasta. While short pasta like penne or fusilli works well, you can also try it with long pasta such as spaghetti or linguine.
Chorizo: If you can't find Spanish chorizo, you can substitute it with Mexican chorizo or even Italian sausage. Adjust the spices accordingly to maintain the desired level of heat and flavor.
Vegetables: While red bell peppers and spinach add color and freshness, you can customize the vegetable selection based on your preferences. Try adding zucchini, mushrooms, or even roasted cherry tomatoes for added depth of flavor.
Dairy: If you prefer a lighter sauce, you can substitute the heavy cream with a lighter alternative like half-and-half or coconut milk for a dairy-free option. Keep in mind that this may slightly alter the taste and texture of the dish.
By incorporating these serving suggestions and exploring ingredient substitutions, you can personalize the chicken and chorizo pasta to your liking and cater to various dietary needs, ensuring everyone at the table can enjoy this delicious meal.
How To Store Leftovers
To store leftover chicken and chorizo pasta properly, follow these simple steps:
- Cool the Pasta: Allow the chicken and chorizo pasta to cool down to room temperature before storing it. This helps prevent the growth of bacteria.
- Portion and Package: Divide the leftover pasta into individual portions or store it in a single airtight container. Choose containers that are suitable for refrigerator storage.
- Refrigerate Promptly: Place the portioned or containerized pasta in the refrigerator promptly.
- Label and Date: If you're storing the pasta for more than a day, label the container(s) with the contents and the date of storage. This makes it easier to keep track of freshness.
- Storage Duration: Leftover chicken and chorizo pasta can be safely stored in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days. Beyond this timeframe, the quality and taste may begin to deteriorate.
- Reheating: When ready to enjoy the leftovers, reheat the pasta thoroughly. You can do this by either microwaving it in a microwave-safe dish or reheating it in a skillet on the stovetop.
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes, you can prepare chicken and chorizo pasta ahead of time. Cook the pasta and prepare the sauce, but keep them separate until you're ready to serve. Store the cooked pasta and sauce in separate airtight containers in the refrigerator. When you're ready to serve, reheat the sauce in a skillet, add the cooked chicken and chorizo, and toss in the pasta until heated through.
While it's possible to freeze chicken and chorizo pasta, the texture of the pasta may change slightly upon thawing. To freeze, place the cooled pasta in a freezer-safe container or freezer bag. Ensure it is tightly sealed to prevent freezer burn. The frozen pasta can be stored for up to 2-3 months. Thaw it overnight in the refrigerator and reheat gently on the stovetop or in the microwave before serving.
Absolutely! The spice level can be adjusted according to your preference. If you prefer a milder flavor, you can reduce or omit the red pepper flakes. On the other hand, if you like it spicier, you can increase the amount of red pepper flakes or add a pinch of cayenne pepper for an extra kick. Feel free to experiment with the spice level to suit your taste buds.
Tools And Equipment For This Recipe
Lodge Cast Iron Deep Skillet: This skillet is a great option for making chicken and chorizo pasta. It’s deeper than a regular cast iron skillet, so you can easily make the sauce and add the pasta without running out of space.
Chef's Knife: A sharp chef's knife is essential for prepping the ingredients for this chicken and chorizo pasta. It will make chopping and dicing the sausage, chicken, and vegetables much easier and quicker.
Le Creuset Signature Deep Dutch Oven: This is my absolute favorite dutch oven and I use it all the time. Its large capacity makes it perfect for one-pot dishes like creamy tomato lentil pasta or ricotta and lemon pasta. It’s pricey but it is super versatile and will last you a lifetime.
Chicken And Chorizo Pasta
- 1 pound penne
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breast
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 8 ounces Spanish chorizo sliced
- 1 medium shallot finely diced
- 1 medium red bell pepper diced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 3 tablespoon vodka optional
- 3 tablespoon tomato paste
- 14 ounces diced tomatoes canned or fresh
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoon butter
- ½ cup parmesan cheese finely grated
- 2 cups baby spinach
- ¼ cup parsley roughly chopped
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil and cook the pasta according to the package instructions until al dente. Reserve 1 cup of the pasta water then drain and set aside.1 pound penne
- In a large skillet, heat some olive oil over medium heat. Add the chicken breast and cook until browned and cooked through. Remove the chicken from the skillet and set aside.1 tablespoon olive oil, 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breast
- In the same skillet, add the Spanish chorizo and sauté until it releases its flavorful oils and becomes slightly crispy. Remove the chorizo and set aside on the same plate as the chicken. Don’t drain the oil from the chorizo.8 ounces Spanish chorizo
- In the same skillet add the shallot and red bell pepper and sauté until the vegetables are softened, then add the minced garlic and sauté for another minute.1 medium shallot, 1 medium red bell pepper, 3 cloves garlic
- Stir in the tomato paste and cook for a minute to develop its flavors. Deglaze the skillet with the vodka (if using), scraping any browned bits from the bottom.3 tablespoon vodka, 3 tablespoon tomato paste
- Add the diced tomatoes (along with their juices), heavy cream, and red pepper flakes, and simmer the sauce gently for about 10 minutes to allow the flavors to meld together.14 ounces diced tomatoes, 1 cup heavy cream, 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Add the butter and allow it to melt into the sauce. Taste and season with salt and pepper as needed, then add the chicken and chorizo back into the pan.1 teaspoon salt, 2 tablespoon butter, ½ teaspoon black pepper
- Add the grated parmesan, stirring gently until it has melted and combined into the sauce.½ cup parmesan cheese
- Add the cooked pasta and mix well to coat everything with the flavorful sauce. Add a splash of the reserved pasta water to thin the sauce, if required.
- Finally, add the baby spinach to the hot sauce and gently stir until wilted.2 cups baby spinach
- Divide the chicken and chorizo pasta among plates or bowls. Garnish with more grated parmesan cheese and a sprinkle of fresh parsley to add a pop of color and freshness.¼ cup parsley
* Nutritional information is based on third-party calculations and should be considered estimates. Actual nutritional content may vary based on brands of ingredients used, measuring methods, portion sizes, and more.