TikTok users are going absolutely wild for Emily Mariko's quick and easy TikTok salmon and rice bowl. This viral TikTok salmon recipe comes together in about 5 minutes and packs a punch of flavor, thanks to the clever but simple combination of soy sauce, mayo, and sriracha. Made using leftover rice and salmon, this is a delicious and filling way to use up your leftovers.
This post contains affiliate links, which means that I may make a commission on purchases and/or clicks (at no extra cost to you). Please read our full disclosure here.
TikTok has given us more than passing trends and TikTok stars! Over the past few months, TikTok has been a go-to source for creative and delicious recipes too - like Emily Mariko's viral TikTok Salmon Bowl.
This is the perfect recipe to use up leftover ingredients like cooked salmon and rice. Emily Mariko's version of this bowl is layered with creamy kewpie mayo and umami-packed soy sauce before being topped with spicy sriracha for the final punch of flavor.
When I first saw this recipe I just knew I had to try it. And let me tell you, this one did not disappoint. One bite of this TikTok Salmon Bowl, and you'll see why Emily Mariko's creation has gone viral! This simple recipe is perfect for a quick lunch!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
TikTok's newest sensation is the delicious TikTok salmon bowl created by Emily Mariko! If you're looking for an easy and quick way to make a nutritious meal that looks as good as it tastes, look no further. I think you'll love this flavorful recipe and here are a few reasons why:
- Not only does this TikTok salmon rice bowl recipe make you feel like a master chef in your own kitchen, but its presentation makes it one of the top-rated TikTok seafood dishes out there!
- The flavors are sure to tantalize all your taste buds. Enjoy a restaurant-grade dish using simple ingredients and without ever having to leave home with this TikTok salmon bowl!
- This delicious recipe is super quick and easy to make. With leftover rice and salmon, it comes together in just 5 minutes - making it perfect for a quick meal.
Just like with any recipe, feel free to switch up the ingredients and tailor it to your tastes. Try adding your own favorite vegetables, aromatics, and spices to make this viral sensation your own.
What You’ll Need To Make This TikTok Salmon Recipe
To make this quick, easy, and delicious TikTok salmon bowl recipe, you'll need the following ingredients:
Rice: Leftover cooked rice, such as sushi or jasmine rice. I prefer white rice for this recipe, but you can use brown rice if you prefer.
Salmon: You'll need roughly 4 ounces of flaked cooked salmon. If you don't have any cooked salmon filets on hand, check out my recipe for Air Fryer Teriyaki Salmon - this delicious flaky salmon cooks in only 6 minutes.
Kewpie mayo: You'll need a few tablespoons of Kewpie mayo for this TikTok salmon bowl. Kewpie mayo is a type of Japanese mayo made with egg yolks, rice vinegar, and a hint of MSG. It has a richer flavor than regular mayo and is a great condiment for all kinds of dishes. If you can't find Kewpie mayonnaise it's fine to substitute with regular mayo.
Soy sauce: The umami flavor in this TikTok salmon bowl comes from the soy sauce. I recommend using a low-sodium version, or light soy sauce if you can find it.
Sriracha: Give this TikTok salmon bowl a spicy kick with a generous drizzle of sriracha or your favorite hot sauce.
Seaweed snacks: Seaweed snacks are a great way to add a little extra crunch and flavor to this dish. Serve on the side or cut them up and sprinkle on top of the bowl.
Kimchi (Optional): If you want to give your TikTok salmon bowl an extra punch of flavor, add a few tablespoons of kimchi. Kimchi is a type of fermented vegetable dish that comes in dozens of varieties and adds a great kick to any dish.
Avocado (Optional): If you want to add some healthy fats and creaminess, top it off with a few slices of avocado.
Other Toppings (Optional): Feel free to add more toppings like furikake, green onions, or sesame seeds. One of the great things about this TikTok salmon bowl is that it's super customizable, so you can make it your own!
Now that you've gathered all the ingredients, let's get started with assembling this TikTok salmon bowl recipe!
Step 1: Using a fork, flake the cooked salmon into small pieces.
Step 2: In a medium-sized bowl, combine the cooked rice and flaked salmon.
Step 3: Place a single ice cube on top of the rice and salmon mixture and cover the bowl with a sheet of parchment paper. Microwave for about 2 minutes or until the rice and salmon is warm, then remove what remains of the ice cube.
Step 4: Drizzle soy sauce, Kewpie mayo, and sriracha over top of the mixture and mix together until all the ingredients are evenly distributed.
Step 5: Top the TikTok salmon bowl with seaweed snacks, kimchi, and avocado slices (optional).
Step 6: Serve and enjoy!
Recipe Tips And Tricks
This TikTok salmon bowl recipe is so simple, but here are a few tips to help you make it even better:
- For best results, use cooked sushi or jasmine rice. If you don't have any leftover cooked rice, you can cook some up quickly in the microwave or on the stovetop.
- Feel free to switch up the ingredients, such as adding your favorite vegetables and aromatics. This is a great way to add more flavor and texture to your bowl.
- If you don't have any leftover salmon filet on hand, pick up some fresh salmon and cook it in the air fryer for a quick and easy alternative to leftover salmon.
- If you can't find Kewpie mayo, it's fine to substitute with regular mayo.
- If you don't have seaweed snacks, you can use a regular nori sheet cut into smaller pieces.
- For an extra hit of flavor, add furikake, green onions, or sesame seeds.
- For vegan and vegetarian options, use tofu or tempeh in place of the salmon.
What Is The Ice Cube Trick?
The ice cube trick is a common cooking hack for microwaving food. By placing an ice cube on top of the food before microwaving it, the condensation created by the ice cube helps to evenly distribute the heat, resulting in perfectly heated food every time. This hack is especially helpful for microwaving cooked rice, as it helps to keep the grains from becoming too dry or crunchy.
You can also steam the food in the microwave by covering it loosely with a piece of parchment paper and microwaving until cooked through. This is another great way to ensure that your food is heated evenly and not overdone.
How To Store Leftovers
Since this delicious salmon rice bowl is already made from leftovers, I don't recommend storing it and reheating it again once it has been assembled. However, if you have any leftover cooked salmon or rice that you would like to store for later use, simply place them in an airtight container and store in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: What does Emily Mariko put on her salmon bowl?
A: Emily Mariko likes to top her TikTok salmon bowl with seaweed snacks, kimchi, and avocado.
Q: Do I need to follow the ingredient measurements to make this recipe?
A: No, you do not need to follow any exact measurements for this recipe. Emily doesn't mention any measurements in her original video, so the measurements provided here are estimates. Feel free to adjust the ingredients, seasonings, and toppings to suit your personal preference.
Q: Is there a vegan or vegetarian option for this TikTok salmon bowl?
A: Yes, you can substitute the cooked salmon with tofu or tempeh and swap the Kewpie mayo for vegan mayo for a vegan or vegetarian version of this recipe.
Q: What brand of seaweed does Emily Mariko use?
A: In her original TikTok video, Emily can be seen using GimMe Organic Roasted Seaweed Snacks.
Q: What kind of mayo does Emily Mariko use?
A: Emily uses Kewpie mayo in her salmon bowl recipe. Kewpie is a Japanese brand of mayonnaise that is richer and sweeter than regular mayo. It can be found in most Asian grocery stores or online.
Q: What is the ice cube trick?
A: The ice cube trick is a cooking hack used to evenly distribute the heat when microwaving food. By placing an ice cube on top of the food before microwaving it, the condensation created by the ice cube helps to evenly heat food without drying it out or burning it.
Tools And Equipment For This Recipe
Rice Cooker: A rice cooker is a great way to make perfect cooked rice every time. This 6 cup (cooked) capacity rice cooker is a great option.
Air Fryer: An air fryer is the perfect tool for quickly and easily cooking up fresh salmon. This air fryer is a great option if you don't already have one.
TikTik Salmon Recipe
- 1 cup rice cooked
- 1 filet salmon cooked
- 1 ice cube
- 1-2 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1-2 tablespoon kewpie mayonnaise
- 1-2 teaspoon sriracha
- 2 tablespoon kimchi
- ½ small avocado
- 1 packet seaweed snacks
- Using a fork, flake the cooked salmon into small pieces.
- In a medium-sized bowl, combine the cooked rice and flaked salmon.
- Place a single ice cube on top of the rice and salmon mixture and cover the bowl with a sheet of parchment paper. Microwave for about 2 minutes or until the rice and salmon is warm, then remove what remains of the ice cube.
- Drizzle soy sauce, Kewpie mayo, and sriracha over top of the mixture and mix together until all the ingredients are evenly distributed.
- Top the TikTok salmon bowl with seaweed snacks, kimchi, and avocado slices (optional).
* Nutritional information is based on third-party calculations and should be considered estimates. Actual nutritional content may vary based on brands of ingredients used, measuring methods, portion sizes, and more.