This air fryer toasted sandwich is the perfect blend of savory and cheesy goodness. The cheddar, provolone, and havarti cheeses come together perfectly, and the air fryer gives the sandwich a crispy texture that is out of this world. This sandwich is quick and easy to make, and it will definitely become a new favorite in your household.
This post contains affiliate links, which means that I may make a commission on purchases and/or clicks (at no extra cost to you). Please read our full disclosure here.
Looking for a hearty and cheesy sandwich that can be made in a flash? Then look no further than this air fryer toasted sandwich recipe! Featuring a trio of cheddar, provolone, and havarti cheese, this sandwich is sure to please any cheese lover.
The key to making this sandwich extra delicious is to use garlic Texas toast. This type of bread is not only flavorful, but it also holds up well to the high heat of the air fryer. So if you’re looking for a quick and easy way to make a tasty sandwich, give this recipe a try!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
Yum, yum, yum! This garlic Texas toast air fryer toasted sandwich recipe is oozing with cheesy goodness and it’s sure to become a family favorite! It’s easy to make and only requires a few simple ingredients that you probably already have in your kitchen. Plus, the best part is that this recipe is totally customizable. Here are four more reasons I think you’ll love this recipe:
This air fryer toasted sandwich recipe is perfect for anyone who loves fresh, delicious food. Here are four reasons why:
- It’s quick and easy to make. The air fryer does all the work, so all you have to do is assemble the ingredients and pop it in – perfect for busy weeknights or lunchtime meal prep.
- It’s super versatile. You can follow the recipe as written or you can choose to use any combination of meats, cheeses, and veggies you like, so every sandwich is unique.
- It’s delicious! The combination of crispy bread, melted cheese, and savory meats is sure to satisfy any appetite.
- It’s fun to make! Playing around with different ingredient combinations is half the fun of making air fryer toasted sandwiches.
So whether you’re looking for a quick lunchtime meal or a satisfying snack, this air fryer toasted sandwich recipe is perfect for you!
What You’ll Need To Make This Air Fryer Toasted Sandwich Recipe
Texas toast: You’ll need 8 slices of garlic Texas toast for this recipe. You can usually find this type of bread in the frozen section of your grocery store. If you can’t find, or don’t want to use Texas toast, you can substitute a regular thick-sliced bread.
Cheese: I like to use a combination of cheddar, provolone, and havarti cheese for this recipe, but you can really use any type of cheese you like as long as it melts
Mayonnaise: You’ll need a few tablespoons of mayonnaise to spread on the bread. I like to use vegan mayonnaise, but you can use whatever you have on hand.
Dijon mustard: You’ll need two teaspoons of Dijon mustard for this recipe. If you don’t have Dijon, you can substitute regular yellow mustard.
Toothpicks: You’ll need some toothpicks to hold the sandwiches together while they cook. This is important for air fryer toasted sandwiches as the circulating air in the air fryer can cause the sandwiches to fall apart if they’re not secured.
Now that you have all your ingredients, it’s time to start making your air fryer toasted sandwiches! Here’s a step-by-step guide to help you make the perfect sandwich:
Step 1: Preheat your air fryer to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
Step 2: Combine the mayonnaise and Dijon mustard together in a small bowl and slice your cheese in half to fit the Texas toast.
Step 3: Spread each slice of toast with the mayonnaise mixture, then top four of the slices with cheese. Layer the three different types of cheese on top of each other, with the provolone in the middle.
Step 4: Top each sandwich with a second slice of Texas toast then use a toothpick or two to secure each sandwich.
Step 5: Place the sandwiches in your air fryer basket, being sure not to overcrowd them, and cook for five minutes at 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
Step 6: Once the top of the sandwiches are golden and the cheese has started to melt, remove the toothpicks and flip the sandwiches over. Cook for an additional 2-3 minutes until the Texas toast is golden brown and the cheese is melted.
Step 7: Serve immediately and enjoy!
Recipe Tips And Tricks
Here are a few tips and tricks to help you make the perfect air fryer toasted sandwich:
- Make sure that you choose a cheese that melts well. Some cheeses, like feta or goat cheese, don’t melt well so they’re not ideal for this recipe.
- If you want to add some extra flavor to your sandwiches, you can try adding a few drops of hot sauce to the mayonnaise mixture or sprinkling some shredded Parmesan cheese on top of the sandwiches before cooking.
- If you’re short on time, you can make these sandwiches ahead of time and store them in the fridge until you’re ready to cook them.
Serving Suggestions And Substitutions
Here are a few ideas for serving your air fryer toasted sandwiches:
- Serve with a side of soup for a complete meal.
- Try serving them with a side of air fryer french fries or tater tots.
- Serve with a salad for a lighter meal.
Here are some substitution ideas for this recipe:
- You can use any type of bread you like in this recipe, not just Texas toast. If you’re not using Texas toast, I recommend spreading a thin layer of butter onto your bread before air frying. This will help the sandwich get extra crunchy and golden.
- Try using different types of cheese or even adding some shredded chicken or ham to the sandwiches for a different twist.
- If you don’t have Dijon mustard, you can use regular yellow mustard.
- If you don’t have mayonnaise you can simply omit it.
How To Store Leftovers
These air fryer toasted sandwiches are definitely best when served fresh. However, any leftovers can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to three days. Reheat in the air fryer at 400 degrees Fahrenheit for a few minutes until warmed through.
You can also freeze these sandwiches for up to three months. Simply place them in a freezer-safe bag or container and thaw in the fridge overnight before reheating.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: Is it OK to air fry a sandwich?
A: Yes, it’s perfectly fine to air-fry a sandwich. Just be sure to use a toothpick or two to secure the sandwich so that it doesn’t fall apart.
Q: What kind of cheese is best for an air fryer toasted sandwich?
A: I recommend using a cheese that melts well such as cheddar, mozzarella, or American. In this recipe I’m using a blend of cheddar, havarti, and provolone – it’s delicious.
Q: Can I add additional ingredients to this air fryer toasted sandwich?
A: Yes, feel free to get creative and add whatever you like to your sandwiches. Some shredded chicken or ham would be delicious. You could also try adding some sauteed onions or peppers.
Tools And Equipment For This Recipe
GoWISE USA 7-Quart Electric Air Fryer With Dehydrator: This is a great budget-friendly air fryer. It’s large enough to cook several toasted sandwiches at once.
Fish Spatula: You’ll need a spatula to flip your toasted sandwiches over while they’re cooking. This fish spatula is my favorite because it’s thin and flexible, which makes flipping delicate foods like sandwiches a breeze.
Toothpicks: You’ll need a few toothpicks to secure each sandwich. I recommend using bamboo cocktail toothpicks because they’re strong and won’t break.
Air Fryer Toasted Sandwich
- 8 slices garlic Texas toast
- 2 slices cheddar cheese
- 2 slices havarti cheese
- 2 slices provolone cheese
- 2 tbsp mayonnaise
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard
- toothpicks to secure
- Preheat your air fryer to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Combine the mayonnaise and Dijon mustard together in a small bowl and slice your cheese in half to fit the Texas toast.
- Spread each slice of toast with the mayonnaise mixture, then top four of the slices with cheese. Layer the three different types of cheese on top of each other, with the provolone in the middle.
- Top each sandwich with a second slice of Texas toast then use a toothpick or two to secure each sandwich.
- Place the sandwiches in your air fryer basket, being sure not to overcrowd them, and cook for five minutes at 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Once the top of the sandwiches are golden and the cheese has started to melt, remove the toothpicks and flip the sandwiches over. Cook for an additional 2-3 minutes until the Texas toast is golden brown and the cheese is melted.
- Serve immediately and enjoy!