Bacon and cheese phyllo cups are a delicious, flaky snack that is sure to please any palate. They consist of a crunchy, buttery phyllo pastry that is filled with bits of salty bacon and a mixture of melted gruyere cheese and cream cheese. These bite-sized pastries have just the right amount of flavor packed into one little puff and can be served warm or cold for any occasion. From afternoon tailgates to birthday parties, these tasty treats will bring smiles when shared with family and friends!
This post contains affiliate links, which means that I may make a commission on purchases and/or clicks (at no extra cost to you). Please read our full disclosure here.
If you're looking for an appetizer that is so full of flavor and made up of just a few simple ingredients that will please any crowd, look no further than this bacon and cheese phyllo cup recipe.
This appetizer has the right amount of salty and savory flavor balanced by the delicious nutty flavor of gruyere cheese. Not to mention, they make a beautiful presentation when they're served. The shells hold their shape while baking in the air fryer or oven, and are easy to assemble in advance too.
You'll be your guests' favorite host when they try these delicious yet uncomplicated phyllo cups!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
If you are looking for a delicious and easy-to-make appetizer, look no further than these bacon and cheese phyllo cups. They are sure to be a hit at your next gathering or even just a night in with your family. What makes these cups so great? Here are a few reasons why you’ll love this recipe:
- They are the perfect bite-sized snack to enjoy with friends and family. Gruyere cheese adds a savory and nutty flavor and the crunchy buttery phyllo pastry is simply irresistible.
- They only require five main ingredients, can be prepped in under 10 minutes, and cooked in less than 5 minutes - making them the perfect go-to for busy nights.
- They also make for an impressive presentation; guests will definitely appreciate the buttery phyllo cups filled with melty cheese and savory bacon.
So what are you waiting for? Get cooking and enjoy these scrumptious little treats!
What You’ll Need To Make Bacon And Cheese Phyllo Cups
Phyllo shells: These are available in the frozen section of most supermarkets. I like to use the pre-made Athens phyllo shells, but if you can't find these you can always make your own with phyllo dough.
Bacon: The quickest and easiest option is to buy pre-cooked bacon pieces, but you can also cook up your own bacon strips and then dice them. I like to cook my own bacon in the air fryer as it's quick and easy.
Gruyere cheese: This Swiss-style cheese is known for its nutty and savory flavor. It works perfectly in these phyllo cups, but you can also substitute with other cheese such as cheddar or mozzarella.
Cream cheese: This adds a creamy texture to the cups, so don’t skip out on it!
Green onions: These are optional, but they do add some freshness and color to the cups.
Seasonings: I like to keep it simple and use a mix of garlic powder, salt, and pepper to season these cups. Feel free to adjust the seasoning levels to your taste preferences.
Now that you have all your ingredients, it's time to get cooking! Here’s how to make the perfect bacon and cheese phyllo cups:
Step 1: Preheat the air fryer to 400 degrees Fahrenheit (205 degrees Celsius). Once preheated, cook the bacon for 8-10 minutes, or until crispy.
Step 2: Chop the cooked bacon into small pieces and set aside.
Step 3: In a medium bowl, mix together the softened cream cheese, green onions, shredded gruyere, garlic powder, salt, and pepper.
Step 4: Spoon the cream cheese mixture into the pre-made phyllo shells.
Step 5: Transfer the shells to the air fryer basket and air fry at 350 degrees Fahrenheit (177 degrees Celsius) for 4-5 minutes or until the cheese is melted and bubbly.
Step 6: Remove the shells from the air fryer and top with bacon pieces and extra green onions. Enjoy!
Tips & Tricks For Making Bacon And Cheese Phyllo Cups
These cups are so incredibly easy to make and they taste amazing, but here are a few of my favorite tips and tricks to help you get the perfect result:
- Make sure to use softened cream cheese; this helps it easily mix with the other ingredients.
- Pre-cooked bacon pieces are great for this recipe as they save time, but you can also cook up your own and dice them.
- Make sure not to overfill the phyllo shells; otherwise the filling may bubble up and leak out.
- Add a few slices of jalapeño or crushed red pepper flakes for an extra kick of heat!
Serving Suggestions And Substitutions
These delicious bacon and cheese phyllo cups are great as an appetizer or snack, but you can also serve them up as a main course. Serve them with a fresh salad or your favorite roasted veggies for a complete meal.
You can also try swapping out the bacon for cooked sausage or adding in some cooked mushrooms for an extra flavor boost. This recipe is super versatile, so feel free to get creative with it!
If you're looking for another great appetizer, why not try these air fryer brie bites with cranberry sauce instead? You can always swap out the cranberry sauce for a different fruit preserve (such as raspberry or fig) if you prefer.
How To Store Leftovers
Bacon and cheese phyllo cups are best enjoyed fresh, but leftovers can also be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days. Reheat in the air fryer for 1-2 minutes or until heated through.
If you're looking to save some time, you can make the filling in advance and chill or freeze it until you're ready to use it.
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes, you can use any type of cheese you prefer. Cheddar, mozzarella, and Swiss all work great in this recipe.
These bacon and gruyere phyllo bites are best served fresh. However, you can make the filling ahead of time and chill it until you're ready to assemble the cups. It should take less than 10 minutes to fill the cups and heat them in the air fryer.
Yes, you can bake these cups in the oven at 350 degrees Fahrenheit (177 degrees Celsius) for about 10 minutes or until the cheese is melted and bubbly. You may need to adjust the cooking time depending on your oven.
Absolutely! You can cook up your own bacon and dice it into small pieces before adding it to the cream cheese mixture. Make sure to cook it until it's extra crispy before adding it in.
Tools And Equipment For This Recipe
GoWISE USA 7-Quart Electric Air Fryer With Dehydrator: This is a great budget-friendly air fryer. It has plenty of space for making a batch of bacon and cheese phyllo bites.
8-Inch Kitchen Knife: You’ll need a sharp knife for dicing up the bacon. This 8-inch kitchen knife by Paudin is a great choice.
Glass Mixing Bowls: These glass mixing bowls are super versatile. You can use them for mixing, storing, and serving. In this recipe, they can be used for mixing the cream cheese, gruyere, green onions, and seasonings together to make the filling.
Bacon And Cheese Phyllo Cups
- 15 phyllo shells
- 4 slices bacon
- 3 ounces cream cheese softened
- 2-3 green onions sliced
- ½ cup shredded gruyere cheese
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- Preheat the air fryer to 400 degrees Fahrenheit (205 degrees Celsius). Once preheated, cook the bacon for 8-10 minutes, or until crispy.
- Chop the cooked bacon into small pieces and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the softened cream cheese, green onions, shredded gruyere, garlic powder, salt, and pepper.
- Spoon the cream cheese mixture into the pre-made phyllo shells.
- Transfer the shells to the air fryer basket and air fry at 350 degrees Fahrenheit (177 degrees Celsius) for 4-5 minutes or until the cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Remove the shells from the air fryer and top with bacon pieces and extra green onions. Enjoy!
* Nutritional information is based on third-party calculations and should be considered estimates. Actual nutritional content may vary based on brands of ingredients used, measuring methods, portion sizes, and more.