Slow cooker curried sausages is a savory and delicious dish that is perfect for a cozy and comforting meal. This hearty dish consists of sausages that are cooked slowly in a crockpot or slow cooker with a mixture of curry spices, vegetables, and a creamy sauce.
This post contains affiliate links, which means that I may make a commission on purchases and/or clicks (at no extra cost to you). Please read our full disclosure here.
If you're looking for a flavorful and easy meal to warm you up on a chilly day, slow cooker curried sausages might just be the perfect recipe for you. This dish is a classic comfort food that is both hearty and satisfying. With a combination of savory sausages, fragrant curry spices, and creamy sauce, this dish is sure to become a family favorite.
The best part about this recipe is that it requires minimal effort and time in the kitchen. Simply brown the sausages, chop up some vegetables, mix up the sauce, and let the slow cooker do the rest of the work. You can go about your day and come back to a delicious meal that is ready to be devoured.
Not only is this recipe easy to make, but it is also highly customizable. You can adjust the spiciness level to your liking, swap out the vegetables or sausages for your preferred ones, and even make it vegetarian by using plant-based sausages.
In this recipe, I'll show you how to make slow cooker curried sausages that are flavorful, tender, and oh-so-delicious. So, let's get cooking!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
Slow cooker curried sausages is a simple yet satisfying dish that will warm you up from the inside out. The combination of savory sausages, aromatic spices, and creamy sauce creates a meal that is both comforting and flavorful. I think you’ll love this recipe, and here are a few reasons why:
- It requires minimal effort and time in the kitchen.
- It can easily be customized to suit your preferences.
- It is perfect for meal prep and leftovers.
- It is a budget-friendly meal that can feed a crowd.
What You’ll Need To Make Slow Cooker Curried Sausages
Thick sausages: This is the main protein source of the dish. You can use any type of sausage you prefer, such as pork, beef, or chicken sausages. If you want a vegetarian option, you can use plant-based sausages.
Yellow onion: This adds flavor and aroma to the dish. You can substitute with white onion or shallots if you prefer.
Garlic: This adds a savory flavor to the dish. You can use garlic powder if you don't have fresh garlic.
Carrots: Adds a sweet and earthy flavor to the dish. You can substitute with other root vegetables, such as parsnips or sweet potatoes.
Potatoes: This adds a hearty texture to the dish. You can substitute with other starchy vegetables, such as yams or turnips.
Curry powder: This is the main spice that gives the dish its signature flavor. You can use whatever kind of curry powder you prefer and adjust the amount to suit your taste.
Beef broth: This adds richness and depth of flavor to the dish. You can substitute with chicken or vegetable broth if you prefer.
Sugar: This balances out the flavors and adds a touch of sweetness. You can use honey or maple syrup instead.
Salt: Enhances the flavors of the dish. You can adjust the amount to your taste.
Black pepper: This adds a bit of spiciness and warmth to the dish.
Frozen peas: Adds a pop of color and freshness to the dish.
Coconut milk: This adds creaminess and richness to the dish. You can use light coconut milk if you prefer a lower-fat option.
Note: Depending on the brand of curry powder you use, the dish may turn out spicier or milder. Adjust the amount of curry powder and black pepper to your liking.
Slow cooker curried sausages is a delicious and easy-to-make dish that is perfect for a cozy and comforting meal. With just a few simple ingredients and minimal effort, you can create a flavorful and hearty meal that will satisfy your taste buds.
Here's a step-by-step guide on how to make slow cooker curried sausages:
Step 1: Brown the sausages - Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat and add the sausages. Cook until browned on all sides, then remove from the pan. Cut into slices on the diagonal and transfer to the slow cooker.
Step 2: Add the sliced onions to the same skillet and cook for a few minutes until slightly softened.
Step 3: Add the garlic and curry powder to the onions in the skillet and cook for 1 minute until fragrant.
Step 4: Add the potatoes, carrots, onion and curry mixture, salt, pepper, and sugar to the slow cooker with the sausages. Pour the beef broth over the top.
Step 5: Cover and cook on high heat for 4-5 hours or low heat for 6-8 hours, or until the sausages and vegetables are tender and cooked through.
Step 6: In the last 30 minutes of cooking, stir in the frozen peas and coconut milk. Cook for another 30 minutes until the peas are heated through and the sauce has thickened.
Step 7: Ladle the curried sausages into bowls and serve hot with your favorite side dish, such as rice or bread. Enjoy!
Tips & Tricks For Making The Best Sausage Curry
Slow cooker curried sausages is a delicious and easy-to-make dish that can be customized to your liking. To ensure that your curried sausages turn out perfectly every time, here are some tips and tricks to keep in mind:
Use high-quality sausages - The quality of the sausages will greatly affect the overall taste of the dish. Choose sausages that are made with high-quality ingredients and have a good balance of spices and seasoning.
Brown the sausages before slow cooking - Browning the sausages before adding them to the slow cooker will give them a nice crust and enhance their flavor.
Cut the vegetables into uniform sizes - This will ensure that the vegetables cook evenly and at the same rate.
Adjust the amount of curry powder to your liking - Depending on the brand of curry powder you use, the level of spiciness can vary. Adjust the amount of curry powder to your liking or use a milder curry powder if you prefer.
Use more coconut milk for a creamy and rich sauce - Coconut milk adds creaminess and richness to the sauce. You can use light coconut milk if you prefer a lower-fat option.
Add the frozen peas and coconut milk at the end - Adding the frozen peas and coconut milk in the last 30 minutes of cooking will ensure that the peas don’t overcook and go brown.
Serve with your favorite side dish - Slow cooker curried sausages can be served with rice, naan bread, or any other side dish of your choice. This will help balance out the flavors and textures of the dish.
With these tips and tricks, you'll be able to make the best slow cooker curried sausages that are full of flavor and comfort.
Serving Suggestions And Substitutions
Slow cooker curried sausages can be served in a variety of ways depending on your preference. Here are a few serving suggestions:
Rice - Serve the curried sausages over a bed of fluffy rice for a hearty and filling meal.
Naan - Warm up some naan and serve alongside the curried sausages to mop up the flavorful sauce.
Steamed vegetables - Serve the curried sausages with a side of steamed vegetables such as broccoli or green beans for added nutrition.
Chutney - Serve the curried sausages with a dollop of mango chutney on top for an extra burst of flavor.
If you don't have all the ingredients listed or want to make some substitutions to suit your taste, here are some possible substitutions:
Sausages: You can use any type of sausage you prefer, such as chicken sausages, turkey sausages, or vegetarian sausages.
Yellow onion: You can use white onion or red onion instead of yellow onion.
Garlic: If you don't have fresh garlic, you can use garlic powder instead.
Carrots and potatoes: You can use any type of root vegetable, such as sweet potatoes or parsnips, or add in some bell peppers or green beans for added color and flavor.
Curry powder: You can make your own curry powder by mixing together cumin, coriander, turmeric, ginger, and cinnamon. You can also use a store-bought curry paste instead of curry powder.
Beef broth: You can use chicken broth or vegetable broth instead of beef broth.
Sugar: You can use honey, maple syrup, or brown sugar instead of white sugar.
Salt and black pepper: These can be adjusted to taste.
Frozen peas: You can use fresh or canned peas instead of frozen peas.
Coconut milk: You can use coconut cream or heavy cream for a richer sauce. You can also use almond milk or soy milk for a dairy-free option.
How To Store Leftovers
Storing leftover slow cooker curried sausages is easy and can be done in a few simple steps:
- Let the dish cool down to room temperature before storing it in an airtight container. This will prevent the steam from creating moisture inside the container, which can cause the food to spoil quickly.
- Place the container in the refrigerator within two hours of cooking. Slow cooker curried sausages can be stored in the refrigerator for up to three to four days.
- Reheat the dish thoroughly before serving. You can reheat the curried sausages in the microwave or on the stovetop. If reheating in the microwave, be sure to stir the dish occasionally to ensure even heating.
- If you have more leftovers than you can eat in a few days, you can also freeze the curried sausages for later. To freeze, let the dish cool down completely, then transfer it to an airtight container or a freezer-safe plastic bag. Slow cooker curried sausages can be frozen for up to three months.
- To thaw frozen curried sausages, place the container in the refrigerator overnight. Once thawed, reheat the dish thoroughly before serving.
By following these steps, you can store leftover slow cooker curried sausages safely and easily, and enjoy the delicious flavors of this dish again and again.
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes, you can use any type of curry powder you prefer. If you prefer a milder flavor, use a smaller amount or substitute with a mix of turmeric, cumin, and coriander.
You can omit the coconut milk and substitute with heavy cream or Greek yogurt. Keep in mind that this will change the flavor and texture of the dish.
Yes, you can add more vegetables to this recipe, such as sweet potatoes, zucchini, or cauliflower. Keep in mind that the cooking time may need to be adjusted depending on the type of vegetables you use. You can also omit any vegetables you don't like.
Yes, you can use a different type of slow cooker, such as a programmable slow cooker or an Instant Pot, to make this recipe. However, keep in mind that the cooking time may vary depending on the type of slow cooker you use.
Tools And Equipment For This Recipe
Slow Cooker: The main piece of equipment needed to make slow cooker curried sausages is a slow cooker itself. A 6-quart slow cooker works best for this recipe.
Chef's Knife: A sharp chef's knife is essential for prepping the vegetables and sausages. It will make chopping and dicing the ingredients much easier and quicker.
Ladle: A ladle can be helpful for serving the curried sausages from the slow cooker. It will make it easier to transfer the hot liquid and ingredients to individual serving bowls without making a mess.
Slow Cooker Curried Sausages
- 1½ pounds thick sausages beef, pork, or chicken
- 1 medium yellow onion sliced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 medium carrots peeled and sliced
- 3 medium potatoes peeled and diced
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 16 ounces beef broth
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 cup frozen peas
- ½ cup coconut milk
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat and add the sausages. Cook until browned on all sides, then remove from the pan. Cut into slices on the diagonal and transfer to the slow cooker.
- Add the sliced onions to the same skillet and cook for a few minutes until slightly softened.
- Add the garlic and curry powder to the onions in the skillet and cook for 1 minute until fragrant.
- Add the potatoes, carrots, onion and curry mixture, salt, pepper, and sugar to the slow cooker with the sausages. Pour the beef broth over the top.
- Cover and cook on high heat for 4-5 hours or low heat for 6-8 hours, or until the sausages and vegetables are tender and cooked through.
- In the last 30 minutes of cooking, stir in the frozen peas and coconut milk. Cook for another 30 minutes until the peas are heated through and the sauce has thickened.
- Ladle the curried sausages into bowls and serve hot with your favorite side dish, such as rice or bread. Enjoy!
* Nutritional information is based on third-party calculations and should be considered estimates. Actual nutritional content may vary based on brands of ingredients used, measuring methods, portion sizes, and more.
Leave a Reply