Looking for a dairy-free sour cream alternative? Look no further than this easy tofu sour cream recipe. It takes just minutes to prepare and is super smooth and deliciously tart - perfect for topping tacos, burritos, or any of your favorite Mexican dishes.
This post contains affiliate links, which means that I may make a commission on purchases and/or clicks (at no extra cost to you). Please read our full disclosure here.
Tofu sour cream is a delicious, vegan-friendly alternative to traditional sour cream. It's perfect for topping tacos, enchiladas, and baked potatoes. And it's easy to make!
Just add a block of silken tofu, some lemon juice, and a few other simple ingredients to your blender or food processor. In less than 5 minutes, you'll have a delicious, dairy-free sour cream that will add zing to any dish.
Give it a try the next time you're looking for a dairy-free sour cream alternative. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised at how delicious it is!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
This easy tofu sour cream recipe is perfect for anyone who loves dairy-free, vegan food that is packed with flavor. Here are four reasons why you will love this recipe:
- It is quick and easy to make, taking less than 10 minutes from start to finish.
- It is versatile and can be used as a topping for tacos, burritos, or nachos, or as a dip for chips or veggies.
- It is dairy-free and vegan, making it a great option for those with dietary restrictions.
- It is packed with flavor, thanks to the combination of garlic, lemon juice, and apple cider vinegar.
So if you are looking for a delicious and easy vegan recipe, this tofu sour cream is a great option!
What You’ll Need To Make Tofu Sour Cream
- Silken tofu: Silken tofu is a type of tofu that has a smooth, creamy texture. It is perfect for this recipe because it will blend up into a smooth and creamy sour cream. If you can't find silken tofu, you can also use firm tofu, but you may need to add a little extra liquid to get it to blend smoothly.
- Lemon juice: Lemon juice gives this tofu sour cream a tart and tangy flavor.
- Lemon zest: Lemon zest is optional, but it adds a nice zingy flavor to the sour cream.
- Apple cider vinegar: Apple cider vinegar helps to balance out the flavors and adds a little zing to the recipe.
- Salt: Salt is used to season the tofu sour cream and bring out the flavors.
- Sugar: Sugar is used to sweeten the sour cream. You can use more or less sugar, depending on your taste preferences.
- Oil: Oil is used to thin out the sour cream and make it easier to blend. I recommend using a light-tasting oil, such as olive oil or vegetable oil.
This recipe is super simple and quick to make. Here's an overview of the steps you'll need to follow to make this recipe:
Add all of the ingredients to a blender or food processor and blend until smooth.
Taste and adjust the seasonings as desired.
Serve immediately or store in a covered container in the fridge for up to 5 days.
Serving Suggestions And Substitutions
This tofu sour cream is delicious on tacos, burritos, or nachos. It's also great as a dip for chips or veggies.
If you want a thinner sour cream, add a little extra oil or water until it reaches the desired consistency.
If you don't have apple cider vinegar, you can substitute white vinegar or another type of vinegar.
If you are looking for a non-dairy and soy-free sour cream alternative, you could try using cashews instead of tofu. Soak 1 cup of cashews in water for at least 4 hours, then drain and blend with the other ingredients.
How To Store Leftovers
This tofu sour cream can be stored in a covered container in the fridge for up to 5 days.
If you want to make this recipe ahead of time, I recommend blending the sour cream and then storing it in a container in the fridge. When you're ready to use it, give it a quick blend to smooth it out again.
If you have leftover tofu sour cream, you can also freeze it for later use. Simply place the sour cream in a freezer-safe container and freeze for up to 3 months. When you're ready to use it, thaw in the fridge overnight and then give it a quick blend before using.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: Can I make tofu sour cream with firm or extra-firm tofu?
A: Yes, you can use firm or extra-firm tofu in this recipe, but you may need to add a little extra liquid to get it to blend smoothly. It will not have the same texture as sour cream made from silken tofu, but will still taste like tofu sour cream.
Q: Is tofu sour cream gluten-free?
A: Yes, this recipe is gluten-free.
Q: Is tofu sour cream vegan?
A: Yes, this recipe is vegan.
Q: Can I make tofu sour cream without a blender?
A: Yes, you can make this recipe without a blender. Simply mash the tofu with a fork or potato masher and then stir in the remaining ingredients. The sour cream will not be as smooth, but it will still taste delicious.
Q: Can I make this recipe ahead of time?
A: Yes, you can make this recipe ahead of time. Simply blend the sour cream and then store it in a container in the fridge. When you're ready to use it, give it a quick blend to smooth it out again.
Tools And Equipment For This Recipe
Vitamix E310 Explorian Blender: This is one of the blenders that I use and love! It’s very powerful and versatile and great for making vegan tofu sour cream.
Food Processor: A food processor will also work well for this recipe. This KitchenAid food processor is a great option and it's powerful enough for a lot of other uses around the kitchen.
More Recipes You Might Like
Tofu Sour Cream
- 16 oz silken tofu
- 3 tablespoon lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon lemon zest
- 2 tablespoon oil light-flavored
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoon sugar
- Add all of the ingredients to a blender or food processor and blend until smooth.
- Taste and adjust the seasonings as desired.
- Serve immediately or store in a covered container in the fridge for up to 5 days.
* Nutritional information is based on third-party calculations and should be considered estimates. Actual nutritional content may vary based on brands of ingredients used, measuring methods, portion sizes, and more.
Leave a Reply