Classic cherry fluff salad is a sweet and creamy dessert that is typically served as a side dish or a dessert at family gatherings and potlucks. This recipe is made from a handful of simple ingredients, including fluffy Cool Whip, sweet cherry pie filling, crushed pineapple, and miniature marshmallows. The ingredients are mixed together and chilled until they become a light and creamy mixture that is bursting with flavor. This delicious, classic dessert is sure to be a hit at your next party or get-together.
This post contains affiliate links, which means that I may make a commission on purchases and/or clicks (at no extra cost to you). Please read our full disclosure here.
Looking for a sweet and refreshing dessert that's perfect for any occasion? Look no further than classic cherry fluff salad! This delightful dessert combines the sweetness of cherry pie filling with the lightness of Cool Whip and the tanginess of pineapple to create a perfectly balanced and irresistible treat.
Plus, with its vibrant red color and fluffy texture, it's sure to be a hit with both kids and adults alike. Best of all, it's incredibly easy to make and can be prepared ahead of time, making it a great option for potlucks, parties, or just a sweet treat to enjoy at home. So, let's get started on this classic cherry fluff salad recipe and satisfy our sweet cravings!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
If you're looking for a quick and easy dessert that's sure to impress, this cherry fluff salad is the perfect option. Made with just a few simple ingredients, this salad is light, creamy, and bursting with fruity flavor. Here are a few reasons why you're sure to love this recipe:
- It's incredibly easy to make - all you need is a few basic ingredients and a few minutes of prep time.
- It's a crowd-pleaser - both kids and adults will love the sweet, fluffy texture and fruity flavor of this dessert.
- It's versatile - you can customize the recipe to your liking by adding in different fruits, nuts, or toppings.
- It's perfect for any occasion - whether you're hosting a party, bringing a dish to a potluck, or just looking for a sweet treat to enjoy at home, this cherry fluff salad is always a hit.
What You’ll Need To Make Cherry Fluff Salad
Vanilla pudding mix: This adds flavor to your cherry fluff salad and helps to thicken the mixture. If you don't have vanilla pudding mix, you can use any other flavor of instant pudding mix that you have on hand.
Crushed pineapple: Crushed pineapple with the juice included adds sweetness and a tangy flavor to the cherry fluff salad. If you prefer, you can use fresh pineapple that has been chopped into small pieces.
Cool Whip: Adds creaminess and a light texture. If you prefer, you can use whipped cream that has been whipped to stiff peaks.
Cherry pie filling: This adds sweetness and the classic cherry flavor that gives this salad its name. If you prefer, you can use a different flavor of pie filling, such as blueberry or apple.
Mini marshmallows: Adds texture and sweetness. If you don't have mini marshmallows, you can use regular marshmallows that have been chopped into small pieces.
Shredded coconut: Gives a nutty flavor and a chewy texture. If you don't like coconut, you can omit this ingredient.
Chopped walnuts or pecans: Chopped nuts give this cherry fluff salad a more complex flavor and a crunchy texture. If you have a nut allergy or prefer not to use nuts, you can omit this ingredient.
Now that you have all the ingredients ready, let's dive into the step-by-step instructions for making this delicious and easy cherry fluff salad. Follow the simple steps below to create this delicious dessert in no time:
Step 1: In a large mixing bowl, combine the vanilla instant pudding mix and crushed pineapple with the juice. Mix well until the pudding mix has dissolved and the mixture has thickened.
Step 2: Add the Cool Whip to the bowl and stir until it is fully incorporated with the pudding mixture.
Step 3: Add the cherry pie filling to the bowl and gently fold it in with a spatula until it is evenly distributed throughout the mixture.
Step 4: Add the mini marshmallows, shredded coconut, and chopped walnuts or pecans to the bowl and fold them in gently until they are evenly distributed.
Step 5: Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and chill the mixture in the refrigerator for at least 2-3 hours, or until the mixture has firmed and set.
Step 6: Once chilled and ready to serve, garnish the salad with additional mini marshmallows, nuts, or a dollop of whipped cream.
Tips & Tricks For Making The Best Cherry Fluff Salad
Cherry fluff salad is a classic dessert that's perfect for any occasion. Whether you're looking for a sweet treat to bring to a potluck or just want something tasty to enjoy at home, this dessert is sure to impress. Here are a few tips and tricks to ensure that you make the best cherry fluff salad possible:
- Keep the juice! Don’t drain your pineapple before adding it to the salad. Adding the pineapple juice to the cherry fluff salad will result in a more flavorful final product.
- Chill the salad before serving: It's important to chill the salad in the refrigerator for at least a few hours before serving to allow the flavors to meld together and for the salad to set up and thicken.
- Customize the recipe to your liking. Feel free to add in other ingredients that you enjoy, such as sliced bananas, mandarin oranges, or chopped strawberries.
- Try using fresh fruit. While canned fruit works fine in this recipe, using fresh fruit can add an extra burst of flavor and texture to the salad.
- Don't over-mix the ingredients. When folding in the cherry pie filling, mini marshmallows, coconut, and nuts, be sure not to over-mix the ingredients, otherwise the salad may become too mushy.
With these tips in mind, you're sure to make a delicious and impressive cherry fluff salad that everyone will love.
Serving Suggestions And Substitutions
Here are some ideas for serving cherry fluff salad to make the most of its sweet, fruity flavors:
- Serve chilled as a dessert after dinner.
- Bring to a potluck or picnic to share with friends and family.
- Serve with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
- Spoon into individual cups and serve as a fun and colorful snack.
If you're looking to switch up the flavors or accommodate dietary restrictions, there are plenty of substitutions you can make to the classic cherry fluff salad recipe. Here are some ideas to get you started:
- Use a different flavor of instant pudding mix, such as white chocolate or lemon, for a different twist on the recipe.
- Swap out the cherry pie filling for another type of pie filling, such as blueberry or apple.
- Use fresh fruit instead of canned fruit, such as chopped cherries or sliced strawberries.
- Use a different type of nut, such as almonds or macadamia nuts, for a different flavor and texture.
- Swap out the Cool Whip for homemade whipped cream, if desired.
- Use vegan or dairy-free substitutes for the pudding mix, Cool Whip, and marshmallows to make the recipe vegan-friendly or accommodate dietary restrictions.
How To Store Leftovers
If you have leftover cherry fluff salad, it's important to store it properly to ensure it stays fresh and tasty. To store the salad, cover it tightly with plastic wrap or transfer it to an airtight container and store it in the refrigerator for up to 2-3 days.
Before serving again, give it a good stir to recombine any separated liquids and re-fluff the salad. If the salad has been sitting out at room temperature for more than two hours, it's best to discard any leftover portions for safety reasons.
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes, fresh cherries can be used in place of cherry pie filling for a more natural, less sweet option. You will need to pit and chop the cherries before adding them to the mixture.
Yes, sugar-free pudding mix can be used to reduce the overall sugar content of the salad. However, the texture and flavor may be slightly different than if using regular pudding mix.
Yes, cherry fluff salad can be made ahead of time and stored in the refrigerator until ready to serve. It's recommended to chill for at least an hour before serving to allow the flavors to meld together.
Yes, whipped cream can be used as a substitute for Cool Whip. Keep in mind that whipped cream may not hold its shape as well as Cool Whip, so the salad may be less fluffy in texture.
Tools And Equipment For This Recipe
Glass Mixing Bowls: These glass mixing bowls are super versatile. You can use them for mixing, storing, and serving.
Dessert Bowls: These pretty glass dessert bowls are perfect for serving individual portions of cherry fluff salad.
Rubber Spatula: This spatula is great for making cherry fluff salad because it allows you to gently fold the ingredients together without crushing the marshmallows or breaking up the fruit, resulting in a fluffier, more appealing texture.
Classic Cherry Fluff Salad
- 3.4 ounce box vanilla instant pudding mix
- 20 ounce can crushed pineapple with juice
- 8 ounces Cool Whip
- 21 ounces cherry pie filling
- 4 cups mini marshmallows
- 1½ cups shredded coconut
- ¾ cup chopped walnuts or pecans
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the vanilla instant pudding mix and crushed pineapple with the juice. Mix well until the pudding mix has dissolved and the mixture has thickened.
- Add the Cool Whip to the bowl and stir until it is fully incorporated with the pudding mixture.
- Add the cherry pie filling to the bowl and gently fold it in with a spatula until it is evenly distributed throughout the mixture.
- Add the mini marshmallows, shredded coconut, and chopped walnuts or pecans to the bowl and fold them in gently until they are evenly distributed.
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and chill the mixture in the refrigerator for at least 2-3 hours, or until the mixture has firmed and set.
- Once chilled and ready to serve, garnish the salad with additional mini marshmallows, nuts, or a dollop of whipped cream.
* Nutritional information is based on third-party calculations and should be considered estimates. Actual nutritional content may vary based on brands of ingredients used, measuring methods, portion sizes, and more.
Leave a Reply