These easy funfetti cake mix cookies are sure to put a smile on anyone's face! Every bite of these moist and chewy cookies is guaranteed to make you feel like a kid again with lively confetti-like sprinkles scattered throughout. To bring them to the next level, they are covered in a layer of creamy vanilla frosting that pairs perfectly with each sweet vanilla cookie. Simple and easy to make, have some fun in the kitchen by baking up a batch today!
This post contains affiliate links, which means that I may make a commission on purchases and/or clicks (at no extra cost to you). Please read our full disclosure here.
Experience the delight of classic funfetti cake mix cookies with an extra decadent twist – rich and creamy vanilla frosting.
Soft and sweet, these moist treats are packed with rainbow sprinkles for a delightful crunch. Dressed up or dressed down, this two-in-one treat is a guaranteed crowd-pleaser for any occasion.
With unbeatable flavor and simple preparation, you'll be making these funfetti cake mix cookies with frosting again and again!
- What Are Cake Mix Cookies?
- Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- What You’ll Need To Make Funfetti Cake Mix Cookies
- Step-By-Step Instructions
- Tips & Tricks For Making The Best Funfetti Cake Mix Cookies
- Serving Suggestions And Substitutions
- How To Store Leftovers
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Tools And Equipment For This Recipe
- 📖 Recipe
What Are Cake Mix Cookies?
Cake mix cookies are a simple, yet delicious way to whip up a batch of treats in no time. Instead of measuring out individual ingredients like flour and baking powder, you simply start by using a cake mix as the base.
From there, all that’s needed is adding any additional ingredients (like butter or eggs) before baking.
Cake mix cookies are easily customizable by changing the flavor of cake mix used, adding in extra mix-ins, or frosting and decorating with your favorite toppings.
These cookies are both delicious and easy to make, making them a go-to favorite for all occasions!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
If you're looking to have some fun and enjoy the sweet taste of a classic, look no further than funfetti cake mix cookies with frosting. The unforgettable combination of cake mix, butter, rainbow sprinkles, and creamy frosting all come together perfectly in this easy treat. I think these colorful and cheerful cookies will brighten your day and here are a few reasons why:
- They're quick and easy to make, but still look and taste impressive - perfect for any occasion.
- The vibrant rainbow funfetti sprinkles add a fun twist to an otherwise classic recipe.
- The soft and chewy texture of the cookies along with the sweet vanilla frosting makes for a mouthwatering combination.
These funfetti cake mix cookies with frosting are sure to put a smile on anyone's face. It's no wonder why they are a go-to treat for all occasions!
What You’ll Need To Make Funfetti Cake Mix Cookies
Funfetti cake mix: Box cake mix makes up the base of the cookies and provides that classic sweet flavor. You'll want to use funfetti cake mix for this recipe or you can use regular white or yellow cake mix and add in your own sprinkles.
Oil: This helps to make the cookies soft and chewy. I recommend using a neutral-flavored cooking oil such as avocado oil, vegetable oil, or canola oil.
Butter: A must-have for any cookie, butter makes these treats extra rich and flavorful.
Eggs: These help the cookie batter bind together, creating a soft and chewy texture and giving the cookies structure when baking.
Vanilla frosting: Pre-made vanilla frosting makes it easy to add a decadent layer of sweetness and contrast the crunchy rainbow sprinkles.
Sprinkles: Funfetti sprinkles are the star of this recipe! Rainbow sprinkles make for a fun and colorful topping.
Once you have all of your ingredients, follow these easy steps to make funfetti cake mix cookies with frosting:
Step 1: Preheat the oven to 350°F and line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
Step 2: In a large bowl, combine the cake mix, oil, melted butter, and eggs and mix until fully incorporated.
Step 3: Using a two tablespoon cookie scoop, form the cookie dough into balls and place them 2 inches apart on the baking sheets.
Step 4: Bake for 10-12 minutes until lightly golden brown.
Step 5: Transfer the cookies to a wire rack and allow them to cool completely before frosting.
Step 6: Microwave the frosting on half power for 15-second intervals until the frosting is melted and then dip each of the cookies halfway in the frosting.
Step 7: Sprinkle the cookies with rainbow sprinkles and let them sit on the wire rack until the frosting has solidified.
Tips & Tricks For Making The Best Funfetti Cake Mix Cookies
These cookies are quick and easy to make, but here are a few tips and tricks to help you make the absolute best funfetti cake mix cookies with frosting:
- Make sure to cool the cookies completely before frosting them. If they’re still warm, the frosting will melt and drip right off the cookies.
- For extra crunch and texture, you can add in some chopped nuts or chocolate chips to the cookie dough before baking.
- If you don’t have premade frosting on hand, you can make your own with butter, powdered sugar, and a splash of milk.
Serving Suggestions And Substitutions
These funfetti cake mix cookies are great for parties, potlucks, or just as a special treat. They're great served on their own, but you can also pair them with a scoop of ice cream or some fresh fruit.
You can also make a few substitutions to the recipe if needed. Here are a few ideas:
- If you don’t have funfetti cake mix, you can use regular white or yellow cake mix and add in your own rainbow sprinkles.
- If you don’t have oil, you can use applesauce or more melted butter instead.
- If you don't have pre-made frosting, you can top the cookies with melted chocolate or make your own vanilla frosting using butter, powdered sugar, and a splash of milk.
How To Store Leftovers
These cookies are best enjoyed the day that you make them, but they can also be stored in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
Alternatively, you can freeze the cookie dough for up to 3 months or freeze the baked and frosted cookies for up to 2 months. When you’re ready to enjoy them, just thaw the cookies before serving.
Frequently Asked Questions
Absolutely! Any type of white or yellow cake mix will work in this recipe. Just add some of your rainbow sprinkles to the cake mix before baking to make it funfetti!
Yes, you can use a gluten-free cake mix instead of regular cake mix. Just be sure to check the labels on all of your ingredients to make sure they're gluten-free.
No, these cookies do not need to be refrigerated. But you can store them in the refrigerator for up to 3 days if you don’t plan on eating them right away.
Yes, you can definitely make these cookies without frosting. They’re still delicious without the frosting, but if you want to dress them up a bit, try topping them with some melted chocolate or a sprinkle of powdered sugar.
Tools And Equipment For This Recipe
Glass Mixing Bowls: These glass mixing bowls are super versatile. You can use them for mixing, storing, and serving.
Cuisinart 17-Inch Chef’s Classic Nonstick Bakeware Cookie Sheet: This cookie sheet is the perfect size for baking cookies. The best thing about this cookie sheet is that it doesn’t have any edges, so the air can circulate around the cookies to help ensure you get a nice even bake.
Fayomir Cookie Scoop Set: A cookie scoop is a great way to get uniform-sized cookies. This set comes with 3 different sizes so you can choose the perfect size for your cookies.
Funfetti Cake Mix Cookies With Frosting
- 15.25 ounce box Funfetti cake mix
- ¼ cup canola oil
- ¼ cup butter melted
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tub pre-made vanilla frosting
- rainbow sprinkles
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, combine the cake mix, oil, melted butter, and eggs and mix until fully incorporated.
- Using a two tablespoon cookie scoop, form the cookie dough into balls and place them 2 inches apart on the baking sheets.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes until lightly golden brown.
- Transfer the cookies to a wire rack and allow them to cool completely before frosting.
- Microwave the frosting on half power for 15-second intervals until the frosting is melted and then dip each of the cookies halfway in the frosting.
- Sprinkle the cookies with rainbow sprinkles and let them sit on the wire rack until the frosting has solidified.
* Nutritional information is based on third-party calculations and should be considered estimates. Actual nutritional content may vary based on brands of ingredients used, measuring methods, portion sizes, and more.