This delicious 4 ingredient banana bread recipe is flavorful, moist, and oh-so-easy to make. The best part about this recipe is that it only requires four ingredients: bananas, eggs, spice cake mix, and vegetable oil. Therefore, it is an affordable and accessible recipe for anyone to try. This 4 ingredient banana bread recipe is a great way to use up ripe bananas and make a delicious, healthy snack. Give it a try today!
This post contains affiliate links, which means that I may make a commission on purchases and/or clicks (at no extra cost to you). Please read our full disclosure here.
This banana bread recipe is the perfect way to use up those overripe bananas. And with only four ingredients, it couldn't be easier to make. Simply combine overripe bananas, eggs, spice cake mix, and vegetable oil in a bowl and mix until everything is well combined. Then pour the batter into a loaf pan and bake for about 60 minutes.
The result is a moist and flavorful banana bread that's impossible to resist. So whether you're looking for an easy breakfast treat or a simple dessert, this banana bread recipe is sure to please.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
Love banana bread but don't love all the fuss that comes with making it? This 4 ingredient recipe is for you! All you need is a bowl, a spoon, a pan, and some time in the oven. And the best part? You probably have all the ingredients in your kitchen right now. Here's why you'll love this banana bread recipe:
- It's super simple to make. Just mix the ingredients together, pour into a loaf pan, and bake! No need for multiple bowls or electric mixers.
- It's delicious! The bananas add natural sweetness and flavor to the bread, and the spices in the cake mix give it a warm, cozy taste.
- It's versatile. Add chocolate chips, nuts, or dried fruit to suit your taste. Or, enjoy it plain - it's great either way!
So what are you waiting for? Give this 4 ingredient banana bread recipe a try today!
What You’ll Need To Make 4 Ingredient Banana Bread
Bananas: You'll need four large, overripe bananas for this recipe. If your bananas are on the small side, you may need five. If you're feeling fancy you can slice an extra banana in half and lay it on top of the batter before baking.
Eggs: You'll need three large eggs for this recipe. The eggs will help bind the ingredients together and give the banana bread a little lift.
Spice cake mix: You'll need one box of spice cake mix. I like to use Duncan Hines because it always turns out moist and delicious. You can use any brand of spice cake mix that you like.
Vegetable oil: You'll need ½ cup of vegetable oil for this recipe. The oil helps to keep the banana bread moist and adds a little bit of richness.
Optional: If you want to add a little something extra to your banana bread, feel free to stir in some chocolate chips, nuts, or dried fruit.
Now that you know what you'll need to make this recipe, let's go over the simple steps to make this 4 ingredient banana bread:
Step 1: Preheat your oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit and line a loaf pan with parchment paper.
Step 2: In a large bowl, mash the bananas with a fork or an electric mixer.
Step 3: Add the eggs, vegetable oil, and spice cake mix to the bowl and mix until everything is well combined.
Step 4: Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan and bake for 5 minutes at 400 degrees Fahrenheit, then reduce the temperature to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and cook for an additional 45-55 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
Step 5: Allow the banana bread to cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then remove the loaf and transfer it to a wire rack to cool completely.
Recipe Tips And Tricks
Here are a few tips and tricks to help you make the perfect 4 ingredient banana bread:
- Be sure to use overripe bananas. The riper the bananas, the sweeter and more flavorful the bread will be.
- Don't overmix the batter. Mix just until everything is combined - you don't want to overwork the gluten in the flour (in the cake mix), which will make the banana bread tough.
- If you want to add chocolate chips, nuts, or dried fruit to the bread, stir them in after the batter is mixed.
- If you don't want to use cake mix, give this 4 ingredient banana bread muffins recipe a try. This recipe uses self-rising flour and dark brown sugar in place of spice cake mix.
Serving Suggestions And Substitutions
- This 4 ingredient banana bread is delicious on its own, but it's also great with a little butter or cream cheese. If you're feeling extra indulgent, you can even serve it with a scoop of ice cream!
- If you don't have any spice cake mix on hand, you can use a yellow cake mix or a white cake mix in its place. The banana bread will have a different taste without the cinnamon, nutmeg, and allspice flavors of the spice cake mix, but it will still be delicious.
- If you want to make this recipe a little healthier, you can use apple sauce instead of vegetable oil. The banana bread will be a little less moist, but it will still be lovely.
- If you don't want to use cake mix (or don't have it on hand) you can give this 4 ingredient banana bread muffins recipe a try. This recipe uses self-rising flour and dark brown sugar in place of spice cake mix.
- If you're looking for a gluten free option, give this gluten-free banana bread recipe a try.
Troubleshooting 4 Ingredient Banana Bread
One of the main complaints about homemade banana bread is that it's too dry. There are a few things that can cause dry banana bread:
- You didn't use enough bananas: Be sure to use at least 4 large, overripe bananas in this recipe. The more bananas you use, the more moist and flavorful the bread will be.
- You overmixed the batter: When you mix the batter, only mix until everything is combined. Overmixing the batter will make the bread tough.
- You overcooked the bread: Banana bread is done when a toothpick or cake tester inserted into the center comes out clean. If you cook the bread for too long, it will be dry.
How To Store Leftovers
Leftover banana bread can be stored at room temperature, in an airtight container, for 3-5 days. Banana bread can also be frozen for up to 3 months.
To freeze banana bread, wrap the cooled loaf tightly in plastic wrap, then place it in a freezer bag. When you're ready to eat it, thaw the banana bread overnight in the refrigerator, then slice and serve.
Frequently Asked Questions
I haven't tried making this recipe with a gluten-free cake mix, but I think it would work. If you do try it, let me know how it turns out!
I like using spice cake mix because it has cinnamon, nutmeg, and allspice in it, which gives the banana bread a little bit of extra flavor. You can use a yellow cake mix or a white cake mix in this recipe, but the bread will have a different taste without the spices.
Yes, you can use self-rising flour in place of the cake mix. Check out this recipe for 4 ingredient banana bread muffins if you'd rather not use cake mix.
Yes, you can! Check out the recipe above for 4 ingredient banana bread muffins if you'd like to make banana bread in muffin form.
Tools And Equipment For This Recipe
Wire Cooling Rack: A wire cooling rack is the best way to cool banana bread. It allows air to circulate around the loaf so that it cools evenly. This cooling rack is a great option for your kitchen.
USA Pan Nonstick Loaf Pan: This loaf pan is my favorite for baking banana bread. It's made of aluminum and has a nonstick coating, so the banana bread comes out perfectly every time.
Glass Mixing Bowls: These glass mixing bowls are super versatile. You can use them for mixing, storing, and serving. They're perfect for mixing all of the ingredients together to make this 4 ingredient banana bread.
4 Ingredient Banana Bread
- 4 large overripe bananas
- 3 large eggs
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 15.25 ounce box spice cake mix
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit and line a loaf pan with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, mash the bananas with a fork or an electric mixer.
- Add the eggs, vegetable oil, and spice cake mix to the bowl and mix until everything is well combined.
- Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan and bake for 5 minutes at 400 degrees Fahrenheit, then reduce the temperature to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and cook for an additional 45-55 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Allow the banana bread to cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then remove the loaf and transfer it to a wire rack to cool completely.
* Nutritional information is based on third-party calculations and should be considered estimates. Actual nutritional content may vary based on brands of ingredients used, measuring methods, portion sizes, and more.