If you're looking for a delicious and nutritious dinner option, look no further than the low carb chicken fajita casserole. Made with freshly cooked chicken, onions, bell peppers, and a sizzling mix of spices, it's sure to tantalize your taste buds! To keep it low carb, simply omit the traditional flour tortillas or replace them with lettuce leaves or cheese wraps. The result is a hearty yet healthy meal that your whole family will love - and you can feel good about enjoying.
This post contains affiliate links, which means that I may make a commission on purchases and/or clicks (at no extra cost to you). Please read our full disclosure here.
For an easy lunch or dinner that is both tasty and healthy, this low carb chicken fajita casserole recipe is the perfect option. This dish includes traditional Mexican flavors like onion and bell pepper, but trades out the high-carb tortillas that are served with traditional fajitas for a delicious gooey cheese blend.
Whip up a delicious meal in no time with minimal ingredients - all you need are chicken, fajita seasonings, bell peppers, onion, and cheese! With bold flavors and a hint of spice, this casserole is sure to make everyone at the table happy. Get ready to devour your next favorite low-carb recipe!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
This low carb chicken fajita casserole recipe is an easy and delicious dinner option that can be made in no time. It is the perfect combination of healthy and satisfying, making it a great weeknight choice for busy families. With a few simple ingredients, you can have a quick, flavorful dish that your entire family will love. Here are just a few reasons why you should give this delicious low carb recipe a try:
- It’s low carb but still packed with so much flavor.
- It doesn’t take too long to prepare, making it an easy weeknight dinner.
- Make a big batch and the leftovers will be great for lunches throughout the week.
What You’ll Need To Make Low Carb Chicken Fajita Casserole
Chicken: I recommend using boneless chicken breast or chicken thighs for this recipe.
Onion: You can use any type of onion you have on hand, just make sure to slice it finely. I used red onion for its sweeter flavor.
Bell peppers: You can use any color bell peppers for this recipe. I used a combination of red, orange, and yellow.
Fajita seasonings: Use your favorite blend of fajita seasonings, store bought or homemade. This recipe includes homemade fajita seasoning with a blend of chili powder, salt, paprika, sugar, garlic powder, cumin, and pepper.
Oil: I rubbing the chicken breasts with a little bit of oil before adding the seasonings to help them stick better. I used olive oil for this recipe, but you can also use avocado oil or vegetable oil.
Mexican-style cheese blend: Use a store-bought or homemade blend of Mexican cheeses for this recipe. I used a mixture of monterey jack, colby, and cheddar cheese.
Lime juice: This adds a nice tart and acidic flavor to the dish. I recommend using fresh lime juice and squeezing it over the dish right before serving.
Cilantro: This is an optional addition but it adds a nice fresh flavor to the dish.
Sour cream: I like to serve my fajita casserole with a nice dollop of sour cream. This is also an optional addition but it adds a nice creaminess and tartness to the dish.
Avocado: This is another optional addition but it adds a nice creamy texture and flavor to the dish.
How To Make Low Carb Chicken Fajita Casserole: Step-By-Step Instructions
Now that you have all the ingredients ready, let’s get cooking! This easy to follow step-by-step guide will walk you through the entire process.
Step 1: Preheat oven to 390 degrees Fahrenheit.
Step 2: Place chicken in a large bowl and season with fajita seasoning. Transfer the seasoned chicken breasts to a large baking dish.
Step 3: Thinly slice the onions and peppers and layer them on top of the chicken breasts in the baking dish.
Step 4: Bake in preheated oven for 40-50 minutes or until the chicken breast reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees Fahrenheit.
Step 5: Remove from oven and top with a generous sprinkle of Mexican cheese blend. Broil for 5 minutes or until the cheese is melted and bubbly.
Step 6: Squeeze fresh lime juice over the top and garnish with cilantro, avocado, and sour cream. Serve immediately and enjoy!
Tips & Tricks For Making Low Carb Chicken Fajita Casserole
Here are a few tips and tricks to help you make the best low carb chicken fajita casserole:
- Use freshly squeezed lime juice for maximum flavor.
- Make sure to preheat the oven to the specified temperature before adding your chicken breasts. This will ensure that they cook evenly and don’t dry out.
- For a quicker cook time, either split your chicken breasts or cut them into small cubes before seasoning and baking.
- For an extra spicy dish, try adding a pinch of cayenne pepper to the fajita seasoning.
- If you’re looking to lighten up this dish, use low-fat cheese and sour cream.
- You can easily double or triple this recipe if you’re looking to make a bigger batch. The leftovers are great for lunch the next day!
- For an extra creamy casserole, add some cream cheese to the mixture before baking.
Serving Suggestions And Substitutions
This easy chicken fajita casserole is perfect on its own, but here are some other serving suggestions:
- To keep it low carb, simply omit the traditional flour tortillas or replace them with lettuce leaves, low carb tortillas, or cheese wraps.
- Serve with cauliflower rice or quinoa for a heartier meal.
- Top with your favorite hot sauce or salsa for an extra kick of flavor.
- Add some black beans or garbanzo beans to the mix for added protein and fiber.
When it comes to substitutions, here are some I recommend:
- Switch up the cheese blend to your favorite type of cheese. Mozzarella is a great option.
- If you don’t have pre-made fajita seasoning, you can use a blend chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, paprika and oregano in its place.
If you’re not a fan of cilantro or avocado, feel free to omit them from the recipe. Any fresh herbs of your choice can be used as a substitute.
How To Store Leftovers
This low-carb chicken fajita casserole can easily be stored in the refrigerator for 3-4 days. To store, simply place the casserole in an airtight container and keep in the refrigerator. When you’re ready to reheat, simply microwave for 2-3 minutes or until heated through.
This casserole can also be frozen for up to 3 months. To freeze, simply place the cooled casserole in a freezer-safe container and freeze for up to 3 months. When ready to eat, thaw overnight in the refrigerator and reheat as per above instructions.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: Can I use cubed chicken or chicken strips instead of whole chicken breasts?
A: Yes, you can use cubed chicken or chicken strips as an alternative. I prefer chicken breasts because it reduces the prep time, but it will increase the cook time. The cook time may be shorter if using cubed chicken or strips so pick the option that works best for you.
Q: Is this dish gluten-free?
A: Yes, this dish is naturally gluten-free. Just make sure to double check that your fajita seasoning is gluten-free.
Q: Do I have to use Mexican cheese blend?
A: No, you can use any type of cheese that you prefer. Mozzarella and shredded cheddar cheese are both great options.
Q: How do I tell when the chicken is cooked through?
A: The best way to tell is by using a meat thermometer. When the internal temperature reaches 165°F, your chicken is cooked through. You can also cut into the chicken to check for any pinkness.
Q: How can I make this dish into a keto chicken fajita casserole?
A: This dish is naturally low carb, but there are a few minor changes you can make so that it's more keto-friendly. To make keto chicken casserole, I recommend using green bell pepper instead of red, orange, or yellow as green peppers contain less carbs. You can also omit the sugar from the seasoning blend, and reduce the amount of onion used or omit it entirely.
Tools And Equipment For This Recipe
Staub Ceramic Baking Dish: This is my favorite casserole dish. It’s the perfect size for making low carb chicken fajita casserole and it looks beautiful as a serving dish too.
Meat Thermometer: A meat thermometer is the best way to tell when your chicken is cooked through. This digital meat thermometer is my go-to for any type of meat.
Cutting Board: A cutting board is essential for prepping the chicken and vegetables. I like this extra large bamboo cutting board because it’s big enough to fit all the ingredients.
Low Carb Chicken Fajita Casserole
- 2 pounds boneless chicken breasts
- 3 large bell peppers thinly sliced
- 1 medium red onion thinly sliced
- 1 cup Mexican-style cheese blend shredded
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2-3 limes
- 1 small avocado
- 4 tablespoon sour cream
Fajita Seasoning Blend
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon sugar
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- Preheat oven to 390 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Place chicken in a large bowl and season with fajita seasoning. Transfer the seasoned chicken breasts to a large baking dish.
- Thinly slice the onions and peppers and layer them on top of the chicken breasts in the baking dish.
- Bake in preheated oven for 40-50 minutes or until the chicken breast reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Remove from oven and top with a generous sprinkle of Mexican cheese blend. Broil for 5 minutes or until the cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Squeeze fresh lime juice over the top and garnish with cilantro, avocado, and sour cream. Serve immediately and enjoy!
* Nutritional information is based on third-party calculations and should be considered estimates. Actual nutritional content may vary based on brands of ingredients used, measuring methods, portion sizes, and more.