This pesto gnocchi recipe with sun-dried tomatoes is a quick and easy way to enjoy a delicious Italian meal. The sun-dried tomatoes add a sweetness and depth of flavor to the dish, while the pesto brings a bright and herby taste. This simple yet delicious meal can be on the table in less than 20 minutes and is sure to impress!
This post contains affiliate links, which means that I may make a commission on purchases and/or clicks (at no extra cost to you). Please read our full disclosure here.
This pesto gnocchi recipe with sun-dried tomatoes is the perfect easy weeknight meal. It comes together in just 30 minutes, and it's packed with flavor.
The gnocchi is tender and fluffy, and the pesto is loaded with fresh basil and sun-dried tomatoes. The dish is finished with a sprinkle of Parmesan cheese, making it irresistible.
So if you're looking for a quick and tasty meal, give this pesto gnocchi recipe a try. You won't be disappointed.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
This delicious creamy gnocchi recipe is the perfect meal for a busy weeknight. The dish comes together quickly and is full of flavorful sun-dried tomatoes in a creamy pesto sauce. The pesto adds a nice depth of flavor and the dish can be on the table in less than 20 minutes. Plus, it's a great way to use up any leftover pesto you may have. Here are three more reasons to love this recipe:
- The gnocchi is light and fluffy, making it a perfect comfort food.
- It's a great way to sneak in some extra veggies.
- The leftovers reheat well, so you can enjoy them for days to come.
What You’ll Need To Make Pesto Gnocchi With Sun-Dried Tomatoes
Gnocchi: I like to use pre-made potato gnocchi for this recipe, but you can also make your own. Using pre-made gnocchi is the trick to making this meal quick and easy.
Sun-dried tomatoes: Sun-dried tomatoes add a lovely sweetness and depth of flavor to the pesto sauce. You can find them at most grocery stores in the pasta aisle.
Pesto: I love to use store-bought basil pesto in this recipe, but you can also use homemade pesto if you prefer. If you're using store-bought pesto, look for a brand that doesn't have any added sugar.
Sour cream: The trick to a great pesto sauce is using a combination of sour cream and heavy cream. The sour cream adds a lovely tangy kick to the pesto sauce.
Heavy cream: Heavy cream helps to thicken the pesto sauce and makes it extra creamy.
Parmesan cheese: A sprinkle of Parmesan cheese is the perfect way to finish this dish. It adds a lovely salty flavor and takes the dish to the next level.
Salt and pepper: Be sure to season the pesto sauce with salt and pepper to taste.
Making this recipe is quick and easy. Simply follow these step-by-step instructions and you'll have a delicious meal on the table in no time.
Step 1: Cook the gnocchi according to package instructions. I like to cook mine in a pot of boiling water for 3-4 minutes.
Step 2: While the gnocchi is cooking, heat the pesto, heavy cream, sour cream, and sun-dried tomatoes in a large skillet or saucepan over medium heat.
Step 3: Once the gnocchi is cooked, drain it and add it to the skillet with the pesto sauce.
Step 4: Toss the gnocchi with the sauce until it's evenly coated. Then, season it with salt and pepper to taste.
Step 5: Serve the gnocchi immediately, topped with a sprinkle of Parmesan cheese. Enjoy!
Recipe Tips And Tricks
Here are a few tips and tricks to help you make the perfect pesto gnocchi:
- If you're using store-bought pesto, be sure to read the labels carefully. Some brands of pesto can be high in sugar. Look for a brand that doesn't have any added sugar.
- I like to use pre-made potato gnocchi for this recipe, but you can also make your own. If you're making your own gnocchi, this recipe will take longer to make.
- I like to use a combination of heavy cream and sour cream to make the pesto sauce. The sour cream adds a lovely tangy kick to the sauce. However, you can use all heavy cream or all sour cream if you prefer.
- Be sure to season the pesto sauce with salt and pepper to taste. This will help to bring out the flavors of the dish.
Serving Suggestions And Substitutions
This creamy pesto gnocchi makes a fantastic quick and easy main dish. Here are a few serving suggestions:
- Serve it with a green salad and some crusty bread for a complete meal.
- Add some grilled chicken or shrimp to the dish for a heartier meal.
- Try serving it with roasted vegetables instead of sun-dried tomatoes.
- Swap out the potato gnocchi for another type of pasta, such as penne or fettuccine.
This recipe is great as-is, but there are also a few easy substitutions that you can make:
- If you're not a fan of sun-dried tomatoes, try using roasted red peppers instead.
- Try swapping out the pesto for another type of sauce, such as alfredo or marinara.
- If you don't have sour cream, you can use Greek yogurt or crème fraîche in its place.
How To Store Leftovers
Leftover pesto gnocchi will keep in the fridge for 3-4 days. I like to store it in an airtight container to keep it fresh.
To reheat, simply add the gnocchi to a skillet with a little bit of water or chicken broth and heat it over medium heat until it's warm.
You can also reheat it in the microwave. Just be sure to add a little bit of water or chicken broth to prevent it from drying out.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: Can I make this recipe ahead of time?
A: Yes, this recipe can be made ahead of time. Just cook the gnocchi and make the sauce according to the recipe instructions. Then, store the gnocchi and sauce in an airtight container in the fridge. When you're ready to eat, simply reheat the gnocchi and sauce in a skillet over medium heat.
Q: Why use a combination of sour cream and heavy cream?
A: I like to use a combination of sour cream and heavy cream because the sour cream gives the pesto sauce a lovely tangy flavor while the heavy cream makes the sauce nice and rich. However, you can use all heavy cream or all sour cream if you prefer.
Q: Can I use another type of pasta instead of gnocchi?
A: Yes, you can use another type of pasta instead of gnocchi. Try using penne, fettuccine, or another type of pasta that you like.
Q: Can I make my own gnocchi?
A: Yes, you can make your own gnocchi if you'd prefer. However, this recipe will take longer to make if you're making your own gnocchi.
Tools And Equipment For This Recipe
Non-Stick Frying Pan: This is my favorite pan for cooking pesto gnocchi. It’s large enough to fit a decent batch of pesto sauce and gnocchi and is also a great, versatile tool for other recipes.
Powder-Coated Colander Set: This is a great set of colanders that come in three different sizes. I use them for everything from washing vegetables to straining pasta.
Wooden Spoon Set: Every kitchen needs a good set of wooden spoons. I like this set because it comes with three different sizes and is made from durable beech wood.
Pesto Gnocchi With Sun-Dried Tomatoes
- 16 ounces potato gnocchi
- ½ cup sun-dried tomatoes in olive oil
- ¼ cup basil pesto
- ½ cup heavy cream
- ½ cup sour cream
- ¼ cup parmesan cheese grated
- salt and pepper to taste
- Cook the gnocchi according to package instructions. I like to cook mine in a pot of boiling water for 3-4 minutes.
- While the gnocchi is cooking, heat the pesto, heavy cream, sour cream, and sun-dried tomatoes in a large skillet or saucepan over medium heat.
- Once the gnocchi is cooked, drain it and add it to the skillet with the pesto sauce.
- Toss the gnocchi with the sauce until it's evenly coated. Then, season it with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve the gnocchi immediately, topped with a sprinkle of Parmesan cheese. Enjoy!
* Nutritional information is based on third-party calculations and should be considered estimates. Actual nutritional content may vary based on brands of ingredients used, measuring methods, portion sizes, and more.