This pan fried tender stem broccoli recipe is the perfect side dish for any meal. The broccoli is pan fried in a mixture of olive oil and butter until it is tender and slightly browned. Then, it is seasoned with salt and pepper to taste and sprinkled with parmesan cheese. Pan fried tender stem broccoli is a healthy and delicious way to enjoy this classic vegetable.
This post contains affiliate links, which means that I may make a commission on purchases and/or clicks (at no extra cost to you). Please read our full disclosure here.
This pan fried tender stem broccoli recipe is a quick and easy way to enjoy delicious, healthy broccoli.
The key to the dish is to pan fry the broccoli over high heat until it is tender and slightly charred. This gives the broccoli a great flavor and ensures that it retains its nutrients. In addition, the pan frying process helps to lock in the broccoli's natural moisture, making it even more tender and juicy.
Whether you are looking for a side dish or a main course, this pan fried tender stem broccoli recipe is sure to please.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
Looking for a delicious and healthy way to cook broccoli? Look no further than this pan-fried tender stem broccoli recipe! Tender stem broccoli is a type of broccoli that has a deliciously sweet flavor. It's also packed with nutrients like vitamin C, fiber, and potassium. Plus, it's quick and easy to make! Here are four reasons why you'll love this recipe:
- The flavor is out of this world. Pan-fried tender stem broccoli is incredibly flavorful. The natural sweetness of the broccoli pairs perfectly with the savory flavors of the garlic and parmesan cheese.
- It's loaded with nutrients. As mentioned, tender stem broccoli is an excellent source of vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants. Eating it regularly can help boost your immune system, improve digestion, and more.
- It's quick and easy to make. This recipe takes less than 30 minutes from start to finish. Simply saute the ingredients in a pan, then add the cooked broccoli and serve.
- It's versatile. Whether you're looking for a side dish or a main course, this recipe can be easily adapted to fit your needs. Add protein like chicken or shrimp for a heartier meal, or keep it vegetarian by serving it with quinoa or rice.
What You’ll Need To Make Pan Fried Tender Stem Broccoli
Tenderstem broccoli: Also known as baby broccoli or broccolini, this type of broccoli has a sweeter flavor and is more tender than regular broccoli. Look for it in the produce section of your grocery store.
Olive oil: Used to cook the broccoli and garlic. You can also use vegetable oil or another type of cooking oil.
Butter: Adds flavor and helps to create a crispy texture on the broccoli.
Garlic: Gives the dish a savory flavor.
Parmesan cheese: Sprinkled on top of the dish for extra flavor. You can also use grated cheddar cheese or another type of cheese.
Lemon juice: Optional, but adds a touch of acidity and brightness to the dish.
Salt and pepper: To taste.
Now that you've gathered your ingredients, it's time to get cooking! Here's a step-by-step guide on how to make pan fried tender stem broccoli:
Step 1: Heat the oil and butter in a large pan over high heat.
Step 2: Add the garlic and saute for 30 seconds.
Step 3: Add the broccoli and cover. Saute for 5-7 minutes, or until tender and slightly charred.
Step 4: Remove from the heat and squeeze lemon juice over the broccolini.
Step 5: Season with salt and pepper, then sprinkle with parmesan cheese. Serve immediately.
Recipe Tips And Tricks
Here are a few tips and tricks to help you make the perfect pan fried tender stem broccoli:
- If your broccoli is not as tender as you'd like, you can cook it for a few minutes longer. Just be sure to keep an eye on it so that it doesn't overcook and become mushy.
- If you have some larger stems of broccolini, you can cut them in half lengthwise so that they will cook quicker.
- If you want a crispy texture, cook the broccoli for a few minutes longer until it is slightly charred.
- For extra flavor, you can add a pinch of red pepper flakes or a squeeze of Sriracha sauce.
- If you are looking for a heartier meal, you can add protein like chicken or shrimp.
- If you want to make this recipe vegan, simply omit the parmesan cheese.
Serving Suggestions And Substitutions
Here are a few ideas of what to serve with pan fried tender stem broccoli:
- Rice: White rice, brown rice, or another type of grain.
- Quinoa: A healthy and protein-packed alternative to rice.
- Pasta: Try it with your favorite pasta dish.
- Chicken: A classic pairing.
- Shrimp: Another protein-packed option.
- Vegetables: Add more vegetables to make it a complete meal.
There are a few substitutions you can make in this recipe:
- Broccoli: If you can't find tenderstem broccoli, you can use regular broccoli. The cooking time will be the same.
- Garlic: If you don't have fresh garlic, you can use garlic powder. Start with ½ teaspoon and add more to taste.
- Cheese: If you don't have parmesan cheese, you can use grated cheddar cheese or another type of cheese.
- Lemon juice: If you don't have lemon juice, you can simply omit it.
This recipe is quick, easy, and delicious! It's perfect for a weeknight meal or as a side dish for a larger meal. And, it's versatile so you can easily adapt it to fit your needs.
How To Store Leftovers
Leftovers can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Reheat in a pan over low heat until warmed through. You may need to add a little bit of water to the pan to prevent the broccoli from drying out.
I don't recommend freezing this dish as the broccoli will become mushy.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: Can I make this recipe ahead of time?
A: I don't recommend making the whole dish ahead of time as the broccoli will become mushy. However, you can chop the broccoli and mince the garlic in advance. Store them in separate airtight containers in the refrigerator until you're ready to cook.
Q: Can I make this recipe vegan?
A: Yes! Simply omit the parmesan cheese.
Q: I don't have tenderstem broccoli. Can I use regular broccoli?
A: Yes, the cooking time will be the same.
Q: Can I add protein to this dish?
A: Yes! Chicken, shrimp, and tofu would be great additions.
Q: How long does it take to cook tenderstem broccoli?
A: It usually takes about 5-7 minutes, but it depends on the size and thickness of the broccoli. If you want it to be extra tender, you can cook it for a few minutes longer. Just be sure to keep an eye on it so it doesn't overcook and become mushy.
Tools And Equipment For This Recipe
8-Inch Kitchen Knife: You’ll need a sharp knife for cutting the ends off the tenderstem broccoli. This 8-inch kitchen knife by Paudin is a great choice.
Sweese Oval Serving Platters: These beautiful oval platters are perfect for serving pan-fried tenderstem broccoli. They’re also great for salads, appetizers, and main dishes.
Non-Stick Frying Pan: This is my favorite pan for cooking pan-fried tenderstem broccoli. It’s large enough to fit a large batch of broccolini and is also a great, versatile tool for other recipes.
Pan Fried Tender Stem Broccoli
- 12 ounces tenderstem broccoli
- 2 cloves garlic thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoon parmesan cheese
- Heat the oil and butter in a large pan over high heat.
- Add the garlic and saute for 30 seconds.
- Add the broccoli and cover. Saute for 5-7 minutes, or until tender and slightly charred.
- Remove from the heat and squeeze lemon juice over the broccolini.
- Season with salt and pepper, then sprinkle with parmesan cheese. Serve immediately.
* Nutritional information is based on third-party calculations and should be considered estimates. Actual nutritional content may vary based on brands of ingredients used, measuring methods, portion sizes, and more.
Leave a Reply