Christmas pretzels are a holiday favorite! They are made by coating pretzels in candy coating and then sprinkling crushed candy canes on top. The result is a delicious and festive treat that is perfect for Christmas parties and gifts. Christmas pretzels are fun to make and even more fun to eat!
This post contains affiliate links, which means that I may make a commission on purchases and/or clicks (at no extra cost to you). Please read our full disclosure here.
Christmas time is a special time of year where family and friends get together to celebrate. What's not to love about Christmas? The Christmas lights, Christmas trees, Christmas music, and of course, the Christmas food.
One of my favorite Christmas foods are chocolate-covered Christmas pretzels with crushed candy canes. They are so simple to make and only require a few ingredients. Plus, they make great Christmas gifts.
If you are looking for a quick and easy Christmas treat, then chocolate covered Christmas pretzels with crushed candy canes are the way to go!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
One of the best things about the holidays is all the delicious treats that are available. If you're looking for a festive and tasty treat to make this year, look no further than chocolate covered christmas pretzels with crushed candy canes. These pretzels are easy to make and are sure to be a hit with family and friends. Here's why you'll love this recipe:
- The combination of sweet chocolate and salty pretzels is irresistible.
- Crushed candy canes add a festive touch (and some extra sweetness).
- They're perfect for holiday parties or as a gift for someone special.
So what are you waiting for? Give this recipe a try today!
What You’ll Need To Make Chocolate Covered Christmas Pretzels
Candy coating or white chocolate: You can use either candy coating or white chocolate for this recipe. I prefer candy coating as it melts easily and sets up quickly.
Pretzels: You will need 40-50 mini pretzels for this recipe. Mini pretzels are a fun shape and a great option for this recipe, but you can use any kind of pretzels that you have on hand.
Candy canes: You'll need some red and white peppermint flavored candy canes for this recipe. You can use mini or regular sized candy canes, whichever you prefer.
Crisco (optional): Whether you are using white chocolate or candy coating, it is a good idea to add a tablespoon of Crisco shortening to help thin the chocolate and make it easier to work with.
Once you have all your ingredients on hand, you are ready to begin. Here's a step-by-step guide to making chocolate-covered Christmas pretzels.
Step 1: Begin by crushing the candy canes into small pieces. You can use a food processor or place them in a plastic bag and bash them with a rolling pin.
Step 2: In a microwave-safe bowl, melt the candy coating or white chocolate in 30 second increments, stirring between each interval, until it's smooth and creamy.
Step 3: When the chocolate is nearly melted, add 1 tablespoon of crisco shortening and stir to combine.
Step 4: Dip each pretzel into the melted chocolate, making sure to coat it completely. Place them on parchment paper, a silicone baking mat, or a wire rack as you go.
Step 5: Sprinkle the crushed candy canes over top of each pretzel before the chocolate has a chance to harden.
Step 6: Place the dipped pretzels in the fridge to set for at least 30 minutes before serving.
Recipe Tips And Tricks
Here are a few tips and tricks to help you make the perfect chocolate covered Christmas pretzels:
- When adding the crushed candy canes to the pretzels, make sure to do so before the chocolate has a chance to harden. This will ensure that the candy cane pieces stick to the pretzel, rather than falling off.
- If you are using white chocolate, you may need to add additional shortening to thin it out. For best results, add 1 teaspoon at a time until you reach the desired consistency.
- When storing, keep the chocolate-covered pretzels in an airtight container or bag in the fridge for up to one week.
Serving Suggestions And Substitutions
These chocolate-covered pretzels with crushed candy canes make a great dessert or snack. Serve them as is, or pair them with other festive treats like gingerbread cookies or almond bark.
If you are looking for a different flavor, try using other types of candy canes such as strawberry or raspberry. You can also substitute the pretzels for cookies, marshmallows, or any other type of snack that you would like to cover in chocolate.
No matter how you decide to make them, these chocolate-covered pretzels with crushed candy canes are sure to be a hit! Enjoy!
How To Store Leftovers
Leftover chocolate-covered pretzels can be stored in an airtight container or bag in the fridge for up to one week.
If you plan to give these as gifts, I recommend putting them in individual treat bags and storing them in the freezer until you're ready to gift them. This will help to preserve freshness and keep them in peak condition!
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: How long do pretzels last after dipping in chocolate?
A: Chocolate-covered pretzels can last 1-2 weeks in an airtight container or bag in the fridge.
Q: What can I add to melting chocolate to make it thinner?
A: To make melting chocolate thinner, you can add a tablespoon of Crisco shortening to help it reach the desired consistency. If you don't have Crisco, you can also use butter or oil.
Q: Can I use other types of candy canes for this recipe?
A: Absolutely! Feel free to experiment with different flavors of candy canes to find the perfect combination for your tastes.
Q: Can I substitute pretzels for other snacks?
A: Yes, you can certainly substitute the pretzels for any other type of snack that you would like to cover in chocolate. Cookies, marshmallows, and other treats all work great!
Q: Can you freeze Christmas pretzels?
A: Yes, you can freeze Christmas pretzels! Place them in an airtight container or bag and store them in the freezer for up to 3 months.
Tools And Equipment For This Recipe
Wire Rack: A wire rack is a great way to set the chocolate-covered pretzels and let them cool without sticking.
1-Quart Double Boiler: A double boiler is the best way to melt chocolate without burning it. If you don’t have a double boiler, you can use a makeshift one by setting a heat-safe bowl over a saucepan of simmering water.
Wilton Candy Melts: Candy melts are a type of chocolate that are specifically designed for melting and coating. Wilton are a great choice when it comes to candy melts.
Chocolate Coated Christmas Pretzels
- 10 ounces candy coating
- 40 mini pretzels
- 1 tablespoon crisco
- 10 mini candy canes crushed
- Begin by crushing the candy canes into small pieces. You can use a food processor or place them in a plastic bag and bash them with a rolling pin.
- In a microwave-safe bowl, melt the candy coating or white chocolate in 30 second increments, stirring between each interval, until it's smooth and creamy.
- When the chocolate is nearly melted, add 1 tablespoon of crisco shortening and stir to combine.
- Dip each pretzel into the melted chocolate, making sure to coat it completely. Place them on parchment paper, a silicone baking mat, or a wire rack as you go.
- Sprinkle the crushed candy canes over top of each pretzel before the chocolate has a chance to harden.
- Place the dipped pretzels in the fridge to set for at least 30 minutes before serving.
* Nutritional information is based on third-party calculations and should be considered estimates. Actual nutritional content may vary based on brands of ingredients used, measuring methods, portion sizes, and more.
Leave a Reply