This quick and easy air fryer gnocchi is crispy on the outside and soft and fluffy on the inside. Made with only shelf-stable gnocchi, oil, and a few basic seasonings, this is a great weeknight meal or side dish that can be on the table in less than 15 minutes!
This post contains affiliate links, which means that I may make a commission on purchases and/or clicks (at no extra cost to you). Please read our full disclosure here.
If you're in the mood for a delicious, comforting meal but don't want to spend hours in the kitchen, this air fryer gnocchi recipe is the perfect solution.
Gnocchi is a type of Italian dumpling made with potatoes and flour, and it's usually boiled in water before being served with a sauce. However, this recipe gives the gnocchi a crispy coating by cooking it in the air fryer. The result is a dish that is equally as delicious as traditional gnocchi but much quicker and easier to make. Plus, who doesn't love a little crunch in their gnocchi?
This recipe can be easily adapted to suit your taste buds - simply choose your favorite sauce and add any additional toppings you like. So what are you waiting for? Get cooking!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
These air fryer gnocchi are the perfect quick and easy comfort food! They make a great appetizer or side dish. And they're so easy to make!
Just toss the gnocchi in a little olive oil with garlic powder, onion powder, and salt, then air fry for about 10-12 minutes then serve them up with your favorite sauce. You'll have delicious, crispy gnocchi that are sure to please everyone at your table.
We love this recipe and think that you will too! Here are a few reasons why you'll love our crispy air fryer gnocchi:
- They're quick and easy to make with only a few ingredients.
- They're ready in less than 15 minutes!
- They require no pre-cooking or boiling, so they're super easy to make.
- They're vegan, vegetarian, and gluten-free (if you use gluten-free gnocchi).
What You’ll Need To Make Crispy Air Fryer Gnocchi
Shelf-stable gnocchi: You can find shelf-stable gnocchi in the pasta aisle of most grocery stores. I like to use shelf-stable gnocchi because it doesn't require any pre-cooking and it makes this recipe quick and easy!
Olive oil: Used to coat the gnocchi and help them crisp up in the air fryer.
Garlic powder, onion powder, and salt: These seasonings are optional but they add a lot of flavor to the dish.
Your favorite sauce: I like to use my quick vegan maple mustard sauce, but you can use any sauce you like.
Optional toppings: Fresh parsley, Parmesan cheese, crushed red pepper flakes, etc.
Vegan Maple Mustard Dipping Sauce
This easy vegan dipping sauce is the perfect accompaniment to these crispy air fryer gnocchi. It’s made with just a few simple ingredients and comes together in minutes.
- ⅛ cup vegan mayo
- 1 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1½ tablespoon maple syrup
- salt and pepper to taste
Simply whisk all of the ingredients together in a small bowl and serve with your air fryer gnocchi.
This recipe is so easy to make! Just follow these simple steps and you'll have delicious, crispy air fryer gnocchi in no time:
Step 1: Preheat your air fryer to 390 degrees Fahrenheit.
Step 2: Add the gnocchi to a large bowl and drizzle with olive oil. Toss to coat.
Step 3: Add the garlic powder, onion powder, and salt (if using) to the bowl and toss to coat.
Step 4: Transfer the gnocchi to the air fryer basket and cook for 10-12 minutes, or until golden brown and crispy.
Step 5: Serve with your favorite sauce and toppings (optional). Enjoy!
Recipe Tips And Tricks
Here are a few tips and tricks to help you make the perfect crispy air fryer gnocchi:
If your air fryer doesn't have a basket, you can line the bottom of the air fryer with foil or parchment paper to prevent sticking.
Be sure to toss the gnocchi in oil before air frying to ensure even cooking. If you prefer, you can use spray oil instead.
If you want extra crispy gnocchi, you can cook them for a few minutes longer. Just keep an eye on them so they don't burn.
Serving Suggestions And Substitutions
Serve these air fryer gnocchi as an appetizer, side, or even a main course. Here are a few of our favorite serving suggestions:
- As an appetizer: Serve with a dipping sauce like our quick vegan maple mustard sauce, tzatziki, or marinara sauce.
- As a side: Serve alongside your favorite roasted or grilled vegetables.
- As the main course: Top with your favorite sauce and additional toppings like Parmesan cheese, crushed red pepper flakes, or fresh parsley.
This recipe calls for minimal ingredients, but you can still make substitutions if you'd like. Here are a few ideas:
- If you can't find shelf-stable gnocchi, you can use frozen or refrigerated gnocchi. Just be mindful that you may need to adjust the cooking time - particularly if your gnocchi has a higher water content than the shelf-stable variety.
- If you don't have any olive oil on hand, you can use another type of oil like avocado oil or grape seed oil.
- If you don't have any garlic powder, onion powder, or salt, you can omit them or use any other seasonings you like.
- If you want a different sauce, feel free to use your favorite - marinara, Alfredo, or even a simple ketchup.
How To Store Leftovers
Leftover air fryer gnocchi can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for 3-4 days. Reheat in the air fryer or in the microwave until warmed through.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: Do you need to boil gnocchi before cooking it in the air fryer?
A: No, you don't need to boil gnocchi before cooking it in the air fryer. That's what makes this recipe so quick and easy! Just toss the gnocchi in some oil and seasonings and throw it straight in the air fryer.
Q: Can you air fry frozen gnocchi?
A: Yes, you can air fry frozen gnocchi. Just be mindful that the cooking time may vary depending on the type of gnocchi you're using and how frozen it is. I recommend thawing the gnocchi slightly before air frying.
Q: Can you make this recipe gluten-free?
A: Yes, you can make this recipe gluten-free by using gluten-free gnocchi. There are many brands of gluten-free gnocchi available, or you can make your own.
Tools And Equipment For This Recipe
GoWISE USA 7-Quart Electric Air Fryer With Dehydrator: This is a great budget-friendly air fryer. It has plenty of space for making a batch of air fryer gnocchi.
Glass Mixing Bowls: These glass mixing bowls are super versatile. You can use them for mixing, storing, and serving. In this recipe, they can be used for mixing the shelf-stable gnocchi with the oil and seasonings.
Crispy Air Fryer Gnocchi
- 16 ounces shelf-stable gnocchi
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- Preheat your air fryer to 390 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Add the gnocchi to a large bowl and drizzle with olive oil. Toss to coat.
- Add the garlic powder, onion powder, and salt (if using) to the bowl and toss to coat.
- Transfer the gnocchi to the air fryer basket and cook for 10-12 minutes, or until golden brown and crispy.
- Serve with your favorite sauce and toppings (optional). Enjoy!
* Nutritional information is based on third-party calculations and should be considered estimates. Actual nutritional content may vary based on brands of ingredients used, measuring methods, portion sizes, and more.